Growth and swelling between toes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth and swelling between toes

Miura has a growth or... something... on the webbing in between her toes. It's about the size of a marble and the area around it is red and swollen. There is a growth beginning on her other foot too, I can feel a firm mass on the other foot in the webbing and see what looks like a callous starting to form. The skin around both front pads is pretty red.

She's going to the vet tomorrow and for the time being I have socks on both front feet to keep her from licking. I was thinking of giving her some Benadryl for the swelling and when she's knocked out from that, soak both front feet in water with epsom salt for as long as she'll let me and put fresh socks back on her while we're still awake to monitor her.

With any luck, trying to teach an 11 month old Great Dane wearing athletic socks to keep a foot resting in an empty basin is the oddest thing I have to explain for awhile.

I have no idea what's wrong. She could easily have been bitten by any number of different insects while playing in the yard, maybe got something imbedded in the skin, have an infected cut, I really don't know. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, she was running and playing yesterday like nothing was amiss. I didn't notice until she started licking it a lot today.

Any ideas? Benadryl, epsom salt soak and socks seem like a good strategy until we can get her in to see the vet? The emergency vet didn't seem to think it was anything to panic over despite how horrible the picture looks.
    Attached Files

Hi yes that looks yucky.I see alot of dogs get these growths between their toes from allergies.I see it alot from food but i am sure she is on good food,Also can be something outside as you said let us know what the vet says.Good luck tomm.

Comment

wow ouch... sounds like you are doing the only things you can do... keep us posted.....
      sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Wow that looks painful. I hope your vet can figure out what is going on there.
        sigpic

Comment

50mg of Benadryl on board per the emergency vet recommendation over the phone. Her nose is kind of runny too. Miura is on TOTW Pacific Stream and seems to be doing well otherwise, a little itchy but I thought that was from shedding her puppy coat.

Comment

Originally posted by agreenwood View Post
            50mg of Benadryl on board per the emergency vet recommendation over the phone. Her nose is kind of runny too. Miura is on TOTW Pacific Stream and seems to be doing well otherwise, a little itchy but I thought that was from shedding her puppy coat.
            Hi sounds like a allergy.Did you try squeezing it is there any pus etc??Because some ingrown hairs will cause a pussy cyst.

Comment

It looks a lot like a hair or something(maybe a splinter or who knows) got embedded and then the area around it got quite angry.
              sigpic

Comment

I believe you said that there is another one starting on a different foot? Our lab used to get growths between his toes, and they were related to allergies. They started out not so bad, but by the time we figured out he had one (because he was licking them alot) they could get really nasty.
                sigpic
                Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

That is a very low dose of Banadryl. Hope it helps though. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow. You can give up to 1mg per pound of body weight of Benadryl 2 to 3 times a day. Good luck.
                  sigpic Brenda
                  RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                  Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

She was pretty loopy on the 50mg but is 100% normal now, her feet don't seem to be bothering her at all as she chews on one of her bones. We'll be at the vet before breakfast tomorrow to get some idea of what is going on.

At least I know she tolerates socks pretty well, they only came off when the socks worked themselves down some and she would step on them with her back feet. I'm going to work with a couple friends to make doggie garter belts! //product line... hrm... //

Thank you everyone for working through this with me, I really appreciate it. Her poor toes, it will be ok!!!! We'll fix it. Thanks again, the paranoid mama is still panicking but I know it it will be fine. /confidence

Comment

I just got a chance to look at this thread but it could be a seed from the grass, dandylion (spelling ?), wheat, weeds, etc. My schnauzer got that same type of swelling in his paw and I took him to the vet. He had a seed embedded in his skin that was causing an allergic reaction!! Anyways, I am sure you are at the vet this morning so I hope it goes well!! Let us know....
                      sigpicSteeler and Kelly

He is your best friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                      You are his life, his love, his leader.
                      He will be yours faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      ~Anonymous

Comment

Good luck! I'll be anxious to check here when I get off work this afternoon.
                        ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

Hope the vet visit went well. Also wondering what you found out.
                          sigpic Brenda
                          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

It's a wart. She probably picked up the virus from camp (who I will be calling) and apparently there's not really anything to do but epsom salt soaks and to give her grape seed oil.

The vet visit itself was horrible, my regular vet didn't have an appointment until Friday so I saw someone else in the same office. I am calling them (didn't want to put up a fuss in front of a full waiting room) to make a note that I don't EVER want that woman anywhere near my dog again even in case of emergency.

Editing to add the proper name for it, viral papilloma.
                            Last edited by agreenwood; 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

First of all, I'm sorry your baby is having trouble. That DOES look painful. WHAT happened at the vet to upset you so much? Must have been awful!! Big hugs and hope you AND your girl are feeling better SOON.

Comment

Working...
                              X