Bloat Scare Yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloat Scare Yesterday

Hi Everyone! First off, I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum. It is such a great resource!

Yesterday after returning for a walk, Winston was standing by the door to go out potty again. I figured he just wanted to go outside and sniff around as ever since the weather is getting nicer here in WI, he wants to spend as much time outside as possible (and after this past winter I can't blame him for that). But I noticed something wasn't right...he looked like he had to throw-up and when this happens he stands by the door to go outside. So I took him out and he threw up his food from the morning (this was at 2:45 in the afternoon). He then threw up bile three more times. He was also stretching a lot - forward and backwards, like he was uncomfortable. And he would get in position to poop, but he would end up just lying down - he did this a couple times. He refused to go in the house and would just lie in the grass. Then he would get up and proceeded to throw-up bile a couple more times. And then he would want to eat grass, stretch, try to poop and just lay down again...

At this point, I could tell he was restless and of course thought bloat. I went across the street to our neighbors house, who is a vet, where he proceeded to throw up white foam. He was also a bit agitated when she was looking him over, feeling his stomach, looking at his gums, etc. which is unusal for him because usually he lets you do anything to him. She confirmed what I had been thinking - that he needed to go to the emergency vet.

So I loaded him in the vehicle and we were on our way. In the exam room he threw up again a couple times. His temp was normal and they took him for Xrays. They could only get one view because they couldn't get him to roll over on his back. They said that he had a lot of gas in his intestine. They recommended withholding food and water for 24 hours. (We are withholding food, but are giving him water this morning in small increments and he is keeping it down.) Starting this evening he will get a bland diet of rice and hamburger for 3 days. He seems to be doing better. He wants to eat (he was standing by his food dish this morning when he came in from going out potty looking at me like he was thinking "where's my food?!"). He did poop this morning as well, which was solid.

Additionally, a week before Easter he was treated for an overgrowth of bacteria in his system with metronidizal and amoxicylian (sp). (He had diarrhea so we took a stool sample into the vet.) After he was done with his meds, on Easter Sunday, he threw up two pieces of a toy that we noticed were missing for about 3 weeks. We took another stool sample to the vet and the test came back normal, but his stool was still a little loose. The vet recommended changing his food. He was on Eagle and that was when I noticed that they were bought out and the Great Dane lady was no longer endorsing Eagle. So after much review other dog foods and posting on this forum, we choose Fromm Four Star. But we haven't started the food transition as we just picked it up yesterday morning and yesterday afternoon he was at the emergency clinic.

I apologize that this post is so lengthy...I just don't want to leave anything out that may be important. He is acting normal, but I am worried about him. As you all know our dogss are like children to us. We love him so much and we just want to do everything that we should be doing in this situation so he can get better. Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I am wondering once we start transitioning him from the rice and hamburger back to dog food if we should be using his old food or his new food. I don't want to upset his stomach by giving him new food (the Fromm Four Star), but his old food (Eagle) is giving him loose stools.

Thanks for listening!! melisa and winston
    Melisa, Bentley and Ella
    www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Bloat

Usually if they do this once they'll do it again. I would consider a stomach tack.

Comment

Hi Carol - Could you elaborate more? Do you think because of what happened yesterday he will be more likely to bloat in the future? From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but he didn't actually bloat - he had a large amount of gas in his intestines. Or would this be bloat without the twisting of the stomach? I apologize for the questions...he is our first Dane, so I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.
      Melisa, Bentley and Ella

sigpic

Comment

Buy some Bloat Buster from NaturesFarmacy, I keep it on hand in case I ever think my boy is getting gassy, it helps eliminate the gas in their stomachs and if given correctly can prevent them from bloating.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/
        ~Angela~
        sigpic

Comment

Bloat

Originally posted by melisa22jo View Post
          Hi Carol - Could you elaborate more? Do you think because of what happened yesterday he will be more likely to bloat in the future? From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but he didn't actually bloat - he had a large amount of gas in his intestines. Or would this be bloat without the twisting of the stomach? I apologize for the questions...he is our first Dane, so I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.
          Some danes are prone to it and I do think it was warning signs. Was his stomach in any way swollen so you could see he was gassy? I keep Phayzyme on hand, the gels, highest strength. If in doubt I give them to my dogs. I give maybe 6 at a time.

Comment

No, his stomach was not swollen so we could not see that he was gassy. We will pick up some Phayzyme to keep on hand. Is this for the same purpose as the Bloat Buster that Angela described above? I am also going to look into prophylactic gastropexy surgery for him. I understand this surgery will keep the stomach from twisting, but bloating is still possible. So if he does bloat after he has had the surgery, is it still life threatening? What action would need to be taken if he does bloat after he has had the surgery? Thank you for the quick responses...you're feedback is very much appreciated!
            Melisa, Bentley and Ella

sigpic

Comment

No, his stomach was not swollen so we could not see that he was gassy. We will pick up some Phayzyme to keep on hand. Is this for the same purpose as the Bloat Buster that Angela described above? I am also going to look into prophylactic gastropexy surgery for him. I understand this surgery will keep the stomach from twisting, but bloating is still possible. So if he does bloat after he has had the surgery, is it still life threatening? What action would need to be taken if he does bloat after he has had the surgery? Thank you for the quick responses...you're feedback is very much appreciated!
              I'm not familiar with Bloat Buster but yes, it serves the same purpose. Bloat isn't usually life threatening. Torsion is what kills them. It's possible to bloat after surgery but I personally don't know any dogs that did. After surgery, you would still need to give Phayzyme if gassy and possibly have his stomach tubed if that didn't work by a Vet.

Comment

Estimates vary +/-, but up to 50% of Danes will experience bloat in their lifetimes. The older they get, the more they're prone (age 7 is the peak for bloat.) Two of my three have survived bloat/GDV, and all are now gastropexied. And after living through this awful experience, I'll pexy every future Dane I own.

That said, vomiting is a very good thing as it purges their system and helps to relieve any gas buildup in the stomach. I've seen bloat so often that my rule of thumb is if they vomit it's not bloat. Upset tummy -- yes; eating grass -- likely; blockage -- maybe; potentially serious illness -- maybe; bloat -- thankfully, no.
                Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                sigpic
                Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I just wanted to wish you good luck. I hope he feels better soon & never goes through this experience again.
                  sigpic Brenda
                  RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                  Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Oh so glad Winston is okay now. But, I know the scare of bloat with our previous Danes. I keep Phayzyme in my purse, for when he goes somewhere with us and Bloat Buster in the house. We had Rocky tacked, but it still is always in the back of my mind.
                    Linda and Rocky
                    sigpic
                    Jesse 1998-2007
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
                    Harley 1998-2002
                    Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Thank heavens I have never experienced bloat so I have no advice. I'm glad he seems to be okay now!
                      ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

I am so glad your baby feeling better.

Comment

As stated earlier, many dogs can and will survive bloat. Torsion is the killer. I lost my first Dane to torsion.

Glad to hear Winston seems to be doing well!
                          sigpic
                          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

What a relief that Winston is doing better.
                            sigpic
                            Lori, Desi & Grimm
                            RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                            Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                            Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

So glad to hear that Winston is doing better but I completely agree with Carol. Please do consider getting your boy tacked. Deuce bloated and torsioned one year ago on April 30th. Prior to the day where he actually torsioned, he had two times before where he had instances very similar to what you are describing with Winston. In hindsight I believe that he was actually bloating both times and he was able to vomit both times which cleared things up and prevented him from torsioning.
                              Tamara and Deuce
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X