Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gastropexy Questions

Hi all! Long time no post.

My parents' Dane Maverick is getting neutered on Wednesday. He is also having a scrotal ablation and gastropexy done.

I know my parents are going to have to keep him fairly quiet while he heals, but how much extra healing time will he need because of the 'pexy? He is pretty high energy and also has to follow my parents around the house constantly. He is about 2.5 yo if that matters.

Also, are steps a HUGE no no? In order for him to potty, he needs to walk down 3 steps off of the deck. My mom can't really take him out the front door because she is currently going through cancer treatments and is pretty weak. Should my dad fashion some sort of ramp for him to go down so he doesn't have to do the steps?

TIA!!

Wanna ramp? You can have mine that I paid $150 for free -- none of mine will use it even though I tried training them in a hallway on a flat surface. Scary thing, that mean 'ol ramp!

I have stairs all over and in the past 9 years have lived through 3 TPLOs, one shoulder repair, two bowl resections, 2 torsions, 3 gastropexies.... and the list goes on. What works best for mine is a belly hoist. I got one with the first TPLO and it had two handles attaching a 8" strip of canvas lined with sheepskin. I just looped it under their tummy and lifted up/down steps. Worked like a charm for my 100# as well as my (formerly) 145# Dane.

Since then I've made several other hoists to keep in the van and elsewhere. I used an old canvas tote bag with handles, and simply cut out the sides. It was free and it works just as well as the original one.

HTH!
    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
    sigpic
    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

[When my boy was done, he also had to go down three steps to get outside and it wasn't really a big deal.

Now, all my dogs follow me around, also not too big of problem as long as I assume your mom isn't running through the house getting them to chase her.

As for being quiet, I was told 2-3 weeks of quiet, leash walks outside to potty, then back in, not really playing, just laying around getting pets. When unsupervised, to be sure of this (I have 4 dogs so had to watch rambuctousness) then in the crate. He started feeling good enough to play after the 2nd and 3rd day, so it was interesting trying to keep him subdued, but it IS important. I do know of people's dogs that have ruptured the stitches before it had healed completely and had complications due to that.

Hope that helps. Maybe other can chime in with their experiences.

QUOTE=Nik;383799]Hi all! Long time no post.

My parents' Dane Maverick is getting neutered on Wednesday. He is also having a scrotal ablation and gastropexy done.

I know my parents are going to have to keep him fairly quiet while he heals, but how much extra healing time will he need because of the 'pexy? He is pretty high energy and also has to follow my parents around the house constantly. He is about 2.5 yo if that matters.

Also, are steps a HUGE no no? In order for him to potty, he needs to walk down 3 steps off of the deck. My mom can't really take him out the front door because she is currently going through cancer treatments and is pretty weak. Should my dad fashion some sort of ramp for him to go down so he doesn't have to do the steps?

TIA!![/QUOTE]

Comment

Thanks, ladies.

joyable, unfortunately the belly hoist isn't an option. My mom is very weak from her cancer treatments and there is no way she could hoist him anywhere. If you lived closer I'd take you up on the free ramp offer - thank you.

serae, when he goes to potty my mom always goes out with him so I'm certain she could keep him from playing or running around. I've been through countless neuters and a scrotal ablation with my guys so I'm aware of the "rules" of healing for those, but this is the first 'pexy we've had to deal with. I will be sure to relay the info to my parents.

Thanks again, ladies!

Comment

3 steps will be fine. It would be more of a concern for spaying than neutering and that's mainly jumping that is the issue.
          Just keep him quiet (crated if necessary) for about 2-3 weeks. He should do fine.
          sigpic
          Crystal
          Owned by:
          Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
          CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
          Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
          Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
            Thanks, ladies.

joyable, unfortunately the belly hoist isn't an option. My mom is very weak from her cancer treatments and there is no way she could hoist him anywhere. If you lived closer I'd take you up on the free ramp offer - thank you.

serae, when he goes to potty my mom always goes out with him so I'm certain she could keep him from playing or running around. I've been through countless neuters and a scrotal ablation with my guys so I'm aware of the "rules" of healing for those, but this is the first 'pexy we've had to deal with. I will be sure to relay the info to my parents.

Thanks again, ladies!
            Just be prepared for antsyness sooner than you would think if he's not on a leash when pottying. My boy just wanted to run the yard and I figured out quickly that he wouldn't stay calm out there unless he was confined with a leash. Trying to catch them to get them to calm down when they're feeling frisky can be difficult. The pexy healing is a lot like a spay. It always amazes me how soon afterwards they're feeling like playing before they should.

Sara

Comment

I am sure your veterinarian will give you instructions, but what we do is always leash walk them for 10 days. It is a pain in the butt - but is worth it. It is important they don't run and play. We also feed small meals for several days. For example, if you feed twice a day, cut it in half and feed 4 times a day - same with water - we do not let them drink a lot of water at one time while they are healing.

Lori Cornelius
              dixiegreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by joyable View Post
                What works best for mine is a belly hoist. I got one with the first TPLO and it had two handles attaching a 8" strip of canvas lined with sheepskin. I just looped it under their tummy and lifted up/down steps. Worked like a charm for my 100# as well as my (formerly) 145# Dane.

HTH!
                I would not recommend a hoist with any abdominal surgery! It would put a lot of pressure on the sx site and could cause discomfort and bleeding. It could also pull out staples.
                Erin & Triton
                We will never forget:
                Griffin (byb pup, more health probs and $ than I can count, 17 months)
                Drake (bloat/torsion surgery complications 2.5 yrs)
                Phoenix (cancer, 6 yrs)

Comment

One thing to add..make sure the vet sends the dog home with pain meds. You would think that would be a given, but it's surprising in this day and age that some vets still think animals don't feel pain.

Dee
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2danes View Post
                    I would not recommend a hoist with any abdominal surgery! It would put a lot of pressure on the sx site and could cause discomfort and bleeding. It could also pull out staples.
                    I can see where that could happen, but IME I've used it with three Danes with various surgeries and have never had a problem. Maybe because I used it more for stability than actual lifting?

Anyway, worked well for mine.
                    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                    sigpic
                    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Working...
                    X