Vaginal Odor on a spayed female?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaginal Odor on a spayed female?

Hello everyone. I need some help, I tried to find an answer online, but the websites sent me all over. Has anyone ever heard of vaginal odor from a fixed dog? She has been treated for infections there before and they were all cleared out. However, over the past few days she has a (pardon me) rotten fish smell. It is constant, until I clean her female parts and one time the floor under where she was sleeping. It happens when she is napping and doesn't clean herself. I have no idea what it could be or where to start. There is not a discharge with it, just the odor... Any ideas? I would really appreciate at least a place to start....Thank you.
    sigpicOldy! But it's Abigail! "Finally got it to work!"

Is she a spayed female 2+ YO?

I'd first check for a UTI (females have them more frequently than males.) If not a UTI, then I'd suspect hormonal incontinence. If HI, they urinate in their sleep which soils their bedding and makes them smell sour. Very common ailment to the point where at one time, all three former females in my house had it. Easy to treat with daily PPA/Proin (phenylpropanolamine) tabs or some have had success with herbal remedies.

HTH!
    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
    sigpic
    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

They can get vaginitis. I would take her to the vet & have them do an exam & check another urine sample for UTI.
      sigpic Brenda
      RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
      Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

hi are you sure it is not her anal glands?they have a rotten fishy smell also.

Comment

She is only 6 1/2 months old. And I know she doesn't urinate in her sleep... If the anal glands smell, than what is that? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi-
            you might try looking again for a YEASTY odor and see if that helps.
            And good for you using your nose!
            Check her ears too.
            When dogs start having yeast issues, the ears tend to get them too.
            Randa

Comment

You should check her anal glands, my mom's dachshund had a severe problem w/his AGs and they smelled just like rotten icky fish. They might not be draining when she poops and they might need to be expressed by hand. You might even talk to the vet about how to do it at home.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwwigirl View Post
                She is only 6 1/2 months old. And I know she doesn't urinate in her sleep... If the anal glands smell, than what is that? Thanks for your help.
                The anal glands are, obviously, in the anus and they normally "empty" when the dog does it's business. If they get clogged or blocked, they cannot express themselves, then the dog will get a really gross rotten fish odor, can start scootching their butt on the floor, and may lick the anal region more. The vet can express and empty them for you or you can learn how to do it yourself.

Comment

The way you describe the smell leads me to believe it's her anal glands. I would take her to the vet to have it checked out. They can show you how to express them yourself (it's gross, but better than having to take them to the vet if they get clogged again).
                  sigpic
                  RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
                  Levi...born June 29th, 2011
                  Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
                  Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
                  https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Ah, at that age it's not incontinence.

Agree, likely an anal gland problem. Your vet or groomer can express them. If her stool is loose, you may want to get it firm so they'll self-express.
                    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                    sigpic
                    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Ditto on anal glands. Daisy is a spayed female as well and you can tell when she is having trouble extracting her glands on her own. They will usually extract on their own if their poo is nice and hard. As mentioned, you can have a groomer do it or learn to do it yourself if she is not able to do it on her own. It's a pretty nasty smell....very fishy. Hence the nickname "Fishbutt" for Daisy when this occurs. It is bene"fish"al to learn to do it on your own. Yes, I crack myself up.
                      sigpic
                      Forver Loved And Missed, RIP Barkly 1997-2008
                      Rachel
                      Mom to Daisy and Nash (The Danegels) and Bobby and Miso (the Ragdolls) and Rojo (the red fish)

Comment

LOL! I like the last joke! But in all seriousness, Thank you very much for the advice. Her stool has been looser since I moved, but started her on vitamins to help. I will most certainly take the advice and have them checked. Thank you again!

Comment

I also say anal glands!! And now having to deal with two anal gland infections - anal glands can be horrible!!! Nasty, stinky stuff!

Expressing regularly helps!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X