demodectic mange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demodectic mange

Does anyone know much of this type of mange? I was told it was VERY contagious but I was under the impression that sarcoptic mange was the one that was insanely contagious.
    When we had our Dane neutered they found a spot on his head and did a skin scraping and found that he has demodectic mange. They gave us a Dex cream but so far the spot has not gone away. We noticed the spot a while ago after a Jack Russell bit him and thought that maybe it was just a reaction from that bite but....turns out we were wrong!

one of our danes was diagnosed with demodex at 9 months old - right before we rescued him. We used a follicle cleansing shampoo 3 times a week and got him off of the crap food he was one. We also offered him a very stable environment and he flourished! The demodex went away without any other treatment.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ownedby3danes View Post
      one of our danes was diagnosed with demodex at 9 months old - right before we rescued him. We used a follicle cleansing shampoo 3 times a week and got him off of the crap food he was one. We also offered him a very stable environment and he flourished! The demodex went away without any other treatment.
      Where did you get the follicle cleansing shampoo?

Comment

my vet sold it to me.
        sigpic

Comment

I happen to know something about these cigar shaped critters. I had a black and tan coonhound that had it once. My vet used Mitaban dip twice and it cleared right up. You need to keep an eye on the dog after it is applied. A high concentration dip usually makes them sick. If this happens, I was told to run a warm bath and rinse her down. She perked up about an hour later and was fine. The demodex was gone after the second dip. Talk to your vet, they should be able to tell you more about it.

Comment

There are quite a few really good treatments for demodex (which is the NON contageous one) and what works for you depends on the dog really. I have seen dogs with really mild cases clear them on their own without treatment. I have also seen some so bad that you have to do the mitaban dips. Personally, with 1 spot I would probably use some shampoo like suggested in another post and nothing else.
            sigpic
            Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

Comment

I agree, mange usually shows up when a dog's immune system is stressed. Deuce had this when he was a pup, we made sure not to do anything to stress his immune system until it was all cleared up (ie. no shots, healthy great food, etc.) It did take a while (approx 3-4 months for the fur to completely grow back in) but he didn't have any treatment he just grew out of it. We prefered to keep things natural. He only had some spots on his legs and shoulders.
              Tamara and Deuce
              sigpic

Comment

My pup has had demodex off and on since he was 6 weeks old, now almost 8 months. We were treating him regularly with Ivomec which worked really well, but after it would clear up and we would take him off, it would come back. He also started having some neurological effects from the toxicity of it. For his newest breakout we've been treating him more naturally with Vitamin C (1000mg/day) and Vitamin E (800mg/day) and it has been working wonders! He started breaking out middle of August and although there is still some hair loss, it has not gotten any worse. He is also eating Eagle pack holistic large and giant breed adult food. Good luck! you'll get it under control!
                sigpic
                Jazmin - Great Dane (June 15, 2011)
                Maia - Great Dane/Lab (Nov 2007)
                4 cats - Marvin, Koskie, Xander (Monkey), Alexa

Julius - Great Dane (adopted May 19, 2012, passed away June 20, 2012)
                Tiernan - Great Dane (Feb 13, 2008-Dec 28, 2011)[/I]

Comment

One of my room-mates dobermanns has had demodex mange for as long as ive lived here (since january, and apperently also before), and its gotten really bad. from her nose to the tips of her toes, to the point of limping on swollen paws (and just about NO fur!). Shes recently been on some kind of daily oral medication now and its finally starting to clear up, but its so interesting to read about it here. my room-mate made it seem like the equivilant of leprosy for a dog, and that it will never go away, ect. its surprising to me to read that its so easily treatable if the owner just does it...

Comment

Working...
                  X