Mira bloated....again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mira bloated....again

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately but just wanted to tell the people that remember me that Mira bloated again last nite. If you remember she bloated with full torsion 4 months ago. She was slightly torsioned last nite (despite her stomach being tacked) but they were able to pass a tube to expel the air. She is at the E-vet right now doing well. I can't believe this happened again It is with a heavy heart that this will be the last time we are able to save her. Please send my baby good thoughts that she recovers from this battle and that this will be her last....

Here is a pic of her that many will recognize

I use to be a firm believer that bloat was caused by stress...I have since found out that I was wrong. Neither time did anything change. She was resting for several hours before a meal, no water, no exercise and no stress....
    Last edited by Mira; 10-02-2008, 04:12 AM.
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

I'm so sorry that you both had to endure this again. I hope she recovers quickly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wendy

Libby(lab mix)
    Sky (RIP--April 18, 2012)
    My heart, Angus (RIP Jan 16, 2014)

Comment

Oh Ang, I am so sorry to hear about Mira. Sending some healing wishes your way. About what you said:

Originally posted by Mira View Post
      I use to be a firm believer that bloat was caused by stress...I have since found out that I was wrong. Neither time did anything change. She was resting for several hours before a meal, no water, no exercise and no stress....
      Stress can still be a causative role...but it sounds like Mira fell victim to yet another bloat risk factor: age. Mira's still a gorgeous gal but she's no spring chicken , and unfortunately the older years often bring more problems.

Plus, you got a got a double whammy the second time around...having a Dane bloat increases the chance for bloat in the future.

Regardless of cause, just know you've got a ton of folks thinking about you and Mira during this scary time.

Cindy
      sigpic

Comment

Ang, I am so sorry to hear about Mira! Sending tons of healing thoughts her way.

I have always loved that picture of her she is such a beautiful gal!

Cheryl, Boca and Maddox
        Boca & Maddox http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2131332304

In loving memory of Mufasa & Anubis
        http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287652173

Comment

Ang, I'm so sorry that Mira fell victim to this awful problem.

Thinking of you and her.

Dee
          sigpic

Comment

So sorry. Sending healing prayers for Mira and that this is her last problems with bloat. Hugs,
            Linda and Rocky
            sigpic
            Jesse 1998-2007
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
            Harley 1998-2002
            Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Hi Mira,
              I am new to this site, but that is my biggest fear right now as well. I am sending my thoughts, prayers and wishes that she recovers and mends fast. I had no idea that danes with the stapled stomach could STILL be bloating?? I really hope she and you are okay.
              sigpic

Comment

AWW Poor Mira! Sending tons of good healing thoughts for her. I really do hope this is the last time this happens to her. Give her some kisses for me!
                Marian
                www.morsgreatdanes.com

Comment

Sorry to hear about Mira... I know how it feels to be afraid. My Dane Fendi is at the Vet as we speak getting treated for Heartworm. Mira is in our prayers and I hope this doesn't happen again.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went and picked her up from the E-vet to transfer her to her regular vet. He said now that she has bloated a second time, she has an 80% chance of doing it again *sigh* Her regular vet listened for a very long time to her stomach and did some manual palputations and wants more xrays, in his words "something doesn't feel right and we need to check it out" I should know something soon.

Cindy--you're right, I'm sure that bloat is caused my stress in some cases, just not Mira's. I should have stated that in my original post. I'm running on less then 3 hours of sleep with 2.5 year old twins swirming around me, plus the fact that I found out 2 friends died this morning It's not a good day....
                    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

I have not had the experience with bloat with my Danes and I hope never to but did the vet say anything about her food? I am new to this site but have had Gucci the Black Dane for almost 8 years and she is fine other than her little leaks. Fendi is 4 and other then her heartworm she has been healthy. Even thought I have an 8 year old Dane I am still learning, that is why I changed there food. I didn't know until now bloat can be caused by stress, I thought it was from the food. Since stress is one factor of bloat can't they give her prozac, I know when I had my Macaw she pulled her feathers out and thats what they gave her. I am so sorry to hear about your friends, I hope you get good news about Mira, maybe that would lighten your day just a little.

Comment

So sorry to hear about everything. Sending lots of healing vibes for Mira. I love that pic of mira. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
                        sigpic

Comment

Mira, so sorry that happened again. I have heard that the stomach tacks are not as reliable as other procedures such as the belt loop.

I hope it doesn't happend again.

Comment

As far as her food, she eats twice a day of moist Innova in the green bag. She isn't a stressed dog or even a nervous dog. She is very laid back and well mannered. The people at the E-vet clinic all commented on how calm she was and easy to work with.

I don't think stress was a factor in Mira bloating, I'm not really sure why she did either time. No water, no exercise, no nothing before she ate. Bloat just happens, no one knows why but I do know that it is so heartwrenching to see your pet in so much pain

Comment

So sorry to hear Mira is going thru this I have always loved the pic of her in that field, beautiful girl !! Sending many positive thoughts your way !

Some thoughts in addition to what Cindy touched upon regarding stress. Keep in mind this isn't scientific, only observations over many years. While outright stress/anxiety can definitely increase potential for GDV, we have seen an interesting number of bloat cases associated with *other* medical conditions, ones that many times the owners weren't even aware of until the dane went in with bloat concerns. Whether there is any correlation or not, I always tucked it away in back of mind and wondered if there was a possible connection or just random occurrences that have no bearing on the other. Maybe the body is in a type of stress internally, even when dog isn't exhibiting signs of stress or aware something is amiss ?
                              Mrs Emery
                              AKC Canine Ambassador
                              Member GDCA - resource/referral
                              GOPDC - Public Education Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X