boots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boots?

We have recently moved to Colorado from Arizona with our 5 year old Dane. He goes for morning walks and we want to continue them through the winter. He is very sensitive to cold weather and i know he'll hate to walk in snow and ice. I'd like to get some boots for him, but have no idea what kind I should buy. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

Also, how on earth do you download a photo to your signature under preferences? I feel silly for not being able to figure this out ':P

Lisa (and Capone)

RE: boots?

Hi,
    Welcome to Colorado. What area are you in? I live in Littleton.
    I don't have an answer to your question. Just wanted to welcome you to our great state. Also, depending on where you are, be careful walking in the mornings and dusk/night time. We do have coyotes and mountain lions.

Comment

RE: boots?

I use Ruffwear's Grip-Trex newly redesigned boots.
      I got mine on sale at Orvis. BUT you may want to order them seperately, too, because many Danes will need a larger size for the front feet than the back.

Randa
      Randa

Comment

Anyone with new great boot recommendations?

We are wanting to invest in a good set of boots for our girl this winter. The boots we bought last year (PetsMart Specials) never seemed to stay on very well and wound up trapping snow between her pads and the inside of the boot! Not exactly helpful.

Our main criteria are that the boots need to go on reasonably easily/quickly, need to stay secure, and need to keep snow OUT. We're open to any brand. We've looked at the Muttluks but from the pics we wonder if they actually stay on securely and keep snow out?

Experiences/opinions everyone?

Thank you!

Julie

Comment

We use Muttluks and we LOVE them. They stay on nicely. If in very deep snow they will get some snow packed in the top above the velcro strip, but otherwise they keep feet nice and dry and free of salt.

Comment

I second the Muttluks. However, around here, they sell 2 versions of them. The cheaper version has a rubberized grip on the bottom and was available at Petco. This works great for indoors, but is torn up by trails and pavement. Darwin has poor circulation in one paw due to an injury, so I use this type on that paw to keep it warm. I also put this type over his sock to give him traction when I put a sock on to keep bandages on a cut. The more expensive kind (which I actually had to order online) has a leather-like sole that holds up well on pavement (haven't had a chance to test it on trails yet).

I second the notion of sizing both the front and back paws. Darwin wears a large on his front paws and an extra large on his hind paws.
            Last edited by cailinarun; 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

We use the ruffwear grip trex as well. They stay on really well and seem to help keep the feet warm. Tested last year during -40 degree celcius weather.
              Tamara and Deuce
              sigpic

Comment

My thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate the input re: Muttlucks (and especially the tip about the two different kinds!) and RuffWear boots. I'm still debating which way to go...

Regarding the RuffWear boots - you said you used them in REALLY cold weather with good results? My concern is that the pics I've seen online make it look like the top of the RuffWear boots are made of a mesh type of material. But you found the dogs' feet still stay warm and dry?

Thanks everyone!

Julie

Comment

Well, I'm not sure since I can't ask Shylock , but they are much heavier duty than the Muttlucks with the rubber Vibram soles to keep his pads off the ice.

Randa
                  Randa

Comment

They are much heavier duty than the Muttlucks, I know that Deuce's feet would get cold and he was lifting them without the boots and I haven't seen him do that behavior with them on. They seem too stay really warm. If you are concerned they are actually make sock liners for them as well. The only thing I did notice was that if we were going through deep snow he would get some snow wedged in the tops of his boots, between the boot and the leg. Can't say that it bothered him but it made me cringe seeing it. He was still bouncing around like an idiot in the snow
                    Tamara and Deuce
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X