Limping spreading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limping spreading

Hi guys. Merlin is now just over 7 months old and has developed a mystery limp. Left rear leg started two days ago. He goes to the vet next week for xrays on his hips because I want them. The injury came after I scheduled his appointment. The first night he did whimper a bit but then he went out to potty a few minutes later and bounced around playing with our Mastiff so I figured he was well enough to wait until his scheduled appointment. The first night he was rather skittish of everyone and didn't sleep in his normal area which is my bedroom but instead went into my sons room away from everyone. I know no one did anything to him so I can't figure out why he's acting this way unless it's pain. I came home tonight to him also favoring his right front leg. What the heck? He has always has a steady growth pattern. It has slowed down a lot in the past few months also. I feed him a raw diet and have since we brought him home from the breeder. My mastiff has severe hip dysplasia in her right hip and has also had a cruiciate repair in her left knee. She has never favored herself like Merlin has been doing. I am almost certain his back knee is fine and he has no swelling, tenderness or irritation anywhere I can find. If I were to guess I would say it was his hip because he doesn't want to put any pressure on his paw at all. Then again he will run and jump around like psycho dog when he gets the urge. ???? The breeder has already told me she has never had a case of HD from any of her pups and I really thought the raw diet would work on the diet factor of HD. I thought pano at first but now it's in his front right leg, possibly shoulder, also? I also thought wobblers for a second but normally he would be able to keep up with the best barrel racers in the country so I doubt it's wobblers. Do any of you have a clue what we could be facing when we go to the vet? The poor baby is hobbling around like he's 80 years old and obviously miserable. Aspirin doesn't appear to help a whole lot either.;(
    We really appreciate any ideas you guys may have for us.

Tracey

RE: Limping spreading

>I thought pano at first but now it's in his
    >front right leg, possibly shoulder, also?

Pano will move from leg to leg. Are any of his joints swollen on the affected limbs? Is he limping on both limbs now or did it "move" from one to the other? I have never known of a raw fed dog to get Pano, but I guess it's possible. It can be confirmed by x-ray I think. There are others here with much more knowledge about Pano than me. If it is confirmed to be Pano, adjustments to the diet can be made to correct the situation.

What do you feed him now, including supplements?

Bill Carnes
    www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
    Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
    Bill Carnes

Comment

Hey Bill,
      He's now limping on both legs. It's a pitiful sight. I just took his temp and it was 102.9. No swelling of his joints or tenderness that I can find. I've put pressure every where I can think of to find a sore spot with no luck. His raw diet is very similar to what you feed since I did get the info. from your site. I will say the core diet is chicken quarters with various types of fish meals and venison (until our free meat runs out)and occasionally beef. Not a lot of red meat because it tends to give my pups horrible gas and a bit of loose stool. Of course, I can't leave out the organ meats. Instead of feeding an organ meal (which also gave very loose stools several times a day) I puree up the organs and give a small amount daily with the other meats and no more runny poo. No additives except a 500mg. vitamin C tablet and that's only because he kept wanting to eat my Mastiffs meds. for her incontinence. Now he gets a pill when she does.
      I really am baffled because with all the limping he is doing it still is nothing like what I experienced with my Mastiff with her hip and knee problems.

Tracey

Comment

It sounds like Pano. It will be in first one leg then the other. On a raw fed dog with Pano you want to cut down on the amount of bone you are feeding. To keep him full add veggies to his diet. Back off on how much you are feeding him and keep him thin. This will help to keep him from growing so fast.

Comment

I'm with Carol on pano. I think that can be confirmed by x-rays. If it is pano, you need to feed less. Less nutrition will slow down his growth. From what you describe, I don't think he is getting too much bone unless the venison is real bony. Most of the venison I have fed is ground meat and cube steaks, etc without bones.

You know ... You have the best reason I have ever heard and possibly the only valid reason for giving Vitamin C.

I would take him to the vet tomorrow to see exactly what is going on with his legs.

Bill Carnes
          www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
          Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
          Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
          Bill Carnes

Comment

Thanks you guys. I hope it's just pano. I still have the HOD worry in the back of my mind but we'll face whatever it is at the vet tomorrow. The venison I feed has no bones but is just the leftover scrap meant and organs. I only have a couple of bones that hang in the yard when they go out to chew on. It helps to keep Merlin out of the flowerbeds.

Tracey

Comment

Sounds almost exactly like what Chomper just went through. Keep in mind even if it is Pano, the vet MAY not be able to see it in the x-rays. I know what it is like to see such a young dog in so much pain. Chomper was on a lot of Taramadol which seemed to help quite a bit. Check my post a couple weeks back... Good luck.

Comment

I read your post about Chomper and it sounded so similar that I wasn't worried anymore. Then he started clicking in his hip.;( I have been there and done that and am not looking forward to it again. How is it possible to own two danes and a mastiff and all three have hip dysplasia? BYB for the first but well researched and knowledgeable about the second and third. Sheesh. I almost want to say it's in our water. I'm just sick thinking about it. I'm going to send his xrays off to OFA to get the official status. My vet and one of her partners had conflicting opinions about the results with my mastiff and I really don't want to deal with that again. One said mild one said severe. I still don't know how bad she is officially except in how she gets around.

Tracey

Comment

Working...
                X