HELP!!! I dont trust my vet, says its HOD...long, but I need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: HELP!!! I dont trust my vet, says its HOD...long, but I need help

3 weeks is a little short in our experince with Joe (but it sounds like he isn't as severe as Joe was). As Carol mentioned, he will sniff around and be as mobile as he can then will lie down when needed. That said, try to keep he calm and play with him more while he is lying down. As joe recovered we had beds in all of our rooms so he would come with us in the kitchen and lie down, then follow us to the living room and lie down, so he was able to motor around the house but he knew when to take a rest (another reason I liked Metacam. He was still in some mild discomfort so he wouldn't go zooming around and over do it, hurting himself further). I would see how he is feeling at the three week mark.
    Also sitting up and standing in his crate are fine. He will know his limits.

Comment

I haven't had a case of it in years but I let my pup walk around the house/yard as much as he wanted to. They aren't going to be running and playing when they hurt.

Comment

Well Brinks is clearly feeling better and better. He wants very much to be active. Every time we let him out of his crate he immediately begins to run and frolic. He bounces up and down and races through the house. If we try to slow him down he dodges us because he doesnt want to go back in his crate. I have been trying my best to keep him from being to active, but I dont want to keep in the crate too much and its immpossibl to get him to sit if he doesnt want to.
        His legs are not swollen, puffy, or hot to the touch at all. However they are still mis-shapen. I have been looking at all the pictures I can find of HOD and knuckling over. Brinks' legs are very knobby at the joints, howver he is not standing on his toes like some of the knucking out pictures and his toes tend to point outward with a slight bow. On the Great Dane Ladies site she reccomends taping legs that are knuckling over, which she says is the first sign of HOD, but in her HOD treatment plan she doesnt mention taping. Do you think taping would be a good idea. I thought maybe because Brinks wants to be so active maybe taping would help support his legs as they moves, perhaps even help them straiten out. What do you think?

Comment

I wouldn't tape them. As he recovers from this his legs and feet should go back to normal.

Comment

Working...
          X