Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better food/nutrition on a budget - is there hope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better food/nutrition on a budget - is there hope?

I would like to get my dane on a less processed diet - she;s currently on a good kibble, and feeding raw is not an option - too expensive. I am currently reading about the Honest Kitchen and Canisource dehydrated - the price falls somewhere in the middle of kibble and raw. Anyone have feedback on these foods? My Dane has Addisons Disease, but is managed very well with her prednisone at 4.5 years old, otherwise she doesn't have other health issues like allergies that warrant the change - I just think if I can reduce the processed food in her diet even a little it's a good thing.. but there's so much hype and I'm not sure about how these balance. etc. Help? She currently gets a multivitamin, homemade bone broth and sometimes pumpkin puree with her meals but otherwise just straight kibble. Thank-you very much

Don't know a lot about either of the foods you mentioned ..one thing I will mention is if you are feeding a good food there is no need for a multivitamin.. A good food already contains the necassary vitamins and giving more can throw things off and give more vitanmins than should be.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Don't know a lot about either of the foods you mentioned ..one thing I will mention is if you are feeding a good food there is no need for a multivitamin.. A good food already contains the necassary vitamins and giving more can throw things off and give more vitanmins than should be.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I just ordered a new food.....Farmers Dog. Anyone have experience with that food please? It's a little pricey but looks good. When I fed Honest Kitchen the girls poop were HUGE. Had to stop that.

Comment

We feed Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and rice flavor because our Dane cannot have chicken protein and this is what the vet and his trainer recommended. It follows the WSAVA guidelines and he's been doing great on it. I was wondering if there was anything we need to sub in because of his size. The vet never said he had to have large breed food because he's done growing now.

Comment

Working...
          X