Supplement Recommendations for Senior Danes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplement Recommendations for Senior Danes

Hello Everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I do check in frequently. I'm looking for current supplement recommendations for my 9 1/2 year old Great Dane, Zia. She's still going strong, but today I noticed a slight limp. I've lost a dane to osteosarcoma which first presented as a limp, but I'm trying to stay positive here... Just hoping she's a little stiff. A few months ago she had a dental, full blood panel and an EKG done and is in great shape. Does anyone have any recommendations for supplements at this stage and what the dosage is? She currently weighs 126 lbs. Thanks in advance!
    sigpic

good to see you and glad to hear zia is doing well! hopefully, the limp is just an *old dog* thing. i assume if it doesn't get better, you'll have xrays done?

two of my girls are seniors (almost 13, almost 11) and my third will be 7 in july. they get Cosequin w/MSM, 2x/day. i also give an extra dose of pure MSM. it's a natural anti-inflammatory and really does help.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks, Charlene! We are definitely hoping for improvement, but if it sticks around or gets worse, then X-rays are definitely in her future! I appreciate the supplement suggestions. Is the MSM the suggestion you had in another post...the AniMed Pure MSM from Chewy.com? TIA!

sigpic

Comment

Gluosamine/chondroitin/MSM is a good supplement along with fish oil.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks, kahluadanes! Appreciate the suggestions!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NMDane View Post
            Is the MSM the suggestion you had in another post...the AniMed Pure MSM from Chewy.com? TIA!
            yup, that's the one! i've recommended it to several people with giant breed dogs (mostly danes and pyrs) and they've all said it helped their dogs.

[SIGPIC]

Comment

Awesome! Thanks so much!
              sigpic

Comment

i may have mentioned this in the other thread but i'd also talk to your vet about chondroprotec injections. it's very similar to adequan and is often referred to as an adequan generic. olivia has been getting the injections for about 2 years now and they really help keep her mobile! it's an IM injection so easy to give them yourself. there's a loading dose for the first few weeks and then a monthly maintenance dose. i pay $60 for a 10cc bottle that i can get 3 injections out of so it's much more economical than adequan.
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Good info! Thanks, Charlene! I'll keep this in mind as we continue into these silver years!
                  sigpic

Comment

you're very welcome! i am the senior dane whisperer, LOL! i used to think i lived my life around my danes years ago but now that they are seniors, i find it's a 24/7 thing. olivia gets cold laser treatments every day, destiny is getting subQ fluids 3x/week for kidney support and i seem to spend a LOT of time cooking different meats to add to their meals. eden will be 7 in july but she's still a young dog at heart and her health is amazing!
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

YOU ARE SIMPLY AMAZING!! I am sure Olivia, Destiny and Eden give you Dane-sized Thank You's everyday!
                      sigpic

Comment

you're so sweet! every time i see a senior dane in rescue, i always wish more people would see the joys in giving these dogs a soft, warm bed and good food and tons of love. it's so rewarding and SO important that they live out their lives in luxury. i've had more than my share of heartaches with senior danes but i am just so drawn to them, it's hard to look away!
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X