Bad hip in 6 month puppy??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad hip in 6 month puppy??

We have had Willow since she was 10 weeks old. She is now 6 months old. She has always been healthy and had a normal gait, until recently. We have noticed that her back left leg is often in funny positions. When she sits, the knee folds inward, underneath her belly. I have attached a link for a photo. This began about a month ago. We also notice that her left leg seems to be splayed out to the left. Like her left knee cap is pointed to the left instead of inline and pointed forward.
    Fast forward to last night, Willow was doing her usual zoomies and when she came to her normal abrupt stop by throwing her rear legs forward to brake, her left leg went limp and she shrieked and cried for a solid 3-4 minutes. Even after holding her, she continued to whimper and was clearly in pain. She laid down for 30 minutes or so, and hopped up gingerly, but able to walk again. And then this morning she is back to zoomies.

https://i.imgur.com/XfuYCWk.jpg

My question is, does this sound like the beginning of Hip Dysplasia?

i'm gonna have to defer to others here, specifically kahuahdanes, as she is much more versed in these things. just guessing wildly but it almost sounds more like a knee issue than something with her hips. i'd say at the very least, your vet should check it out and possibly do an xray.

on another note, get after those nails! overgrown nails, especially in a growing puppy, can be very hard on their joints. hopefully, she's used to having her feet handled. i use a dremel to keep all of my danes' nails ground down.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
      on another note, get after those nails! overgrown nails, especially in a growing puppy, can be very hard on their joints. hopefully, she's used to having her feet handled. i use a dremel to keep all of my danes' nails ground down.
      Oh goodness! Quite embarrassing. We finally got them trimmed last night. Willow is one of the more nervous/anxious pups I have had, so it took some time to get her used to the clippers. She also bled badly with her first trim at the vet so that did not help!

Thanks again for your help Charlene!

Comment

ugh! i had that happen at the vet's office once. after that, i decided i'd just do it at home. one of my girls sleeps through nail grinding, she's amazing! my retired show girl tolerates it well. my 3rd girl HATES having her feet even touched, let alone nails trimmed. she will let me dremel her nails but she's a nervous wreck the whole time which i hate for her. i've been thinking about ordering one of these to see if it'll keep her calm. i'm hopeful it will help as she would climb a tree for peanut butter! LOL

https://www.chewy.com/hyper-pet-lick...ster/dp/181938
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
          ugh! i had that happen at the vet's office once. after that, i decided i'd just do it at home. one of my girls sleeps through nail grinding, she's amazing! my retired show girl tolerates it well. my 3rd girl HATES having her feet even touched, let alone nails trimmed. she will let me dremel her nails but she's a nervous wreck the whole time which i hate for her. i've been thinking about ordering one of these to see if it'll keep her calm. i'm hopeful it will help as she would climb a tree for peanut butter! LOL

https://www.chewy.com/hyper-pet-lick...ster/dp/181938
          That is an interesting idea.. I may have to try that as well.
          Up until this point, I always thought a dog's personality was, for the most part, brought out by the owners. I would look as skiddish dogs and think that the owners were somehow responsible for the pups lack of confidence. Willow has served as a needed reminder that each dog has their own personality regardless of owner behavior. I am trying to find a way to help calm her as she is constantly anxious/nervous with her tail tucked between her legs. Meanwhile, Maisie is the most easy-going, nothing-could-bother-her type of dog. I am hoping that as Willow gets older, she will mellow out and become more comfortable and confident with her surroundings.

Comment

Hi, sorry to ear that you are having problems with your puppy. It does sound more like a knee/tendon issue than it does a hip issue.. I would definitely get a vets diagnosis , an orthopedic vet if possible.. If there is a problem it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later especially in a growing puppy....
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Hi All, just wanted to update. The problem ended up being much worse than we thought and her condition has regressed quickly in the last week . She has lost nearly all of her mobility. X-Rays have confirmed Willow has quite a few problems with her rear end assembly. The largest concern right now is a fractured femur that reset on its own in a C position. The vet said the bone was broken at a very young age. I still cannot believe it as I am typing. We had been to the vet multiple times when she was younger, getting her vaccines, and they assured us it was just growing pains. She is such a tough girl and was always trying to keep up with her big sister Maisie, so I guess she did her best to hide it. Somehow we missed it

We have been referred to UGA's orthopedic team and we are hoping for a decent prognosis. We know the bone needs to be re-broken, straightened, and reset. This is an invasive and costly procedure. Our biggest concern right now is finding the money to pay for the procedure as estimates have ranged from 5-10k. At this point we are kind of hoping for a miracle. If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Comment

Wow !!!! That is terrible.. wishing you the best.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

i'm so sorry you are faced with this. please update us after your consultation with the ortho vets. wishing you luck!
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                  X