Help! Pano? HOD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Pano? HOD?

We have a Great Dane puppy who was born July 2nd. He started to limp gingerly on his front right foot Friday. It didn't get any better so we took him in right away Saturday. We had an exam and X-rays of the front legs, paws, elbows, and shoulders. She said it was pano and prescribed rimadyl. Sunday he was very good and was like he was having no paint at all.
    Monday he started to limp again a bit but on his back left leg. It has progressed and is now worse. It seems like he barely wants to/is able to walk. He goes in spurts today where he will just drag his butt like he can not walk it seems. I called and spoke with the vet who prescribed some additional pain killers for him.
    We are very nervous but have been told to just allow him to sleep this off as it is normal with pano, but it seems a lot worse than "Growing pains". I spoke with the breeder and she said she has not had puppies go through this before.

Any ideas on this? Home remedies we can do to help?

Big question..what are you feeding? Is the calcium/phosphorous levels in the safe range.? Calcium 1.5 or less, phosphorous 1.0 or less... Also don't over feed.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes
      Big question..what are you feeding? Is the calcium/phosphorous levels in the safe range.? Calcium 1.5 or less, phosphorous 1.0 or less... Also don't over feed.
      This is what I am feeding:
      https://www.chewy.com/nutro-wholesom...arge/dp/114608

I can not find calcium or phosphorous levels on the bag or website? I was mostly concerned with protein level and that is at 21%. We were feeding 6 cups a day but have scaled back closer to 4.5 now.

I took him to the vet again today and had a different vet look at him. She agreed with pano and prescribed some tramadol.
      Any other food ideas? Should I switch it?

Thank You
      Last edited by austin03; 10-23-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Protein is not an issue that has been dispelled/proven by very valid studies & research..... it is the calcium/phosphorous levels that you need to be concerned with.. Many adult foods are now to high in both. It would be wise to contact the company and ask what the levels are. If too high then definitely switch. Since your pup has pano it would be wise to look for a food that has a calcium level of 1.2 and phosphorous.08.. most of the large/giant breed puppy foods are in safe limits, but always check when feeding a pauppy12 months and under.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
          Protein is not an issue that has been dispelled/proven by very valid studies & research..... it is the calcium/phosphorous levels that you need to be concerned with.. Many adult foods are now to high in both. It would be wise to contact the company and ask what the levels are. If too high then definitely switch. Since your pup has pano it would be wise to look for a food that has a calcium level of 1.2 and phosphorous.08.. most of the large/giant breed puppy foods are in safe limits, but always check when feeding a pauppy12 months and under.
          Thank you so much for all of your help. I have switched him to a food with calcium of 1.1 and phosphorus of .08.
          hopefully this gets him back on track!

Comment

Make sure you do a slow switch over 7 -10 days..
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Make sure you do a slow switch over 7 -10 days..
              Yep! We will slowly incorporate it.

Really hope this gets him back on track. Do you know how long these spurts can last? Currently having to carry him everywhere since he can't stand on them.
              Seems to have very slightly improved, but still not able to stand. He did stand on all 4's to squat/poop this morning, but was a bit awkward and fell after he was done.

Comment

It can take a while...it varies.. Wishing you the best.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

It can take a while...it varies.. Wishing you the best.
                  Thank You!
                  He was able to support his own weight late yesterday and took a step or two before sitting down. This morning he was able to take a few more steps and didn't even sit down. He just waited for me to pick him up after his legs got a bit sore. Great progress and hopefully we start to see an uptick.
                  This is before switching any of the food, so hopefully that speeds recovery up even a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                  X