Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 5 month GD with broken toe

Hello,
    I have a 5 month old puppy who broke her right outer toe (none weight bearing) from having the puppy zoomies and stopping to fast. she's currently in a splint for the next 8 weeks. It's been 1 week so far and it's been a hard week to say the least. Well today she tore into her splint. We have a cone on her but she now realizes she just has to stand up and she can reach tip of her foot. Upon expecting the exposed toes we can see she's starting to get an infection. So goes to the vet tomorrow. Any advice on how to keep her from reaching her splint or would you not even put a splint and just keep her crated (which she has been) and absolutely no jumping (which seem impossible at the current moment).. my heart breaks for her having to be crated with all this puppy energy. I just want to do the best I can for her.

Sometimes a cone just plain doesn't work for... confinement with safe interactive toys, leash walks regularly, keep her mind active and while it won't curb all the puppy energy while she heals it will help.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you, I'm definitely starting to believe that about the cone. I feel the cone caused more damage then the initial break. Now I'm treating not only a broken toe but an infection in between the toes and puppy who is now obsessed with trying to get to her foot now that she knows she can. This is definitely a no-win situation. I can tell she's so frustrated (understandably ) but her training seems to be taking a back seat. She's just not engaged as she was before the injury. But thats what could be expected. Thank you again

Comment

It isn't unusual for an infection to appear between the toes/pads especially if the dog licks at the area a lot.. Ask your vet what they would like you to use in between the toes to help keep irritation down and help the infection clear..
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X