Antibiotics and Chronic Diarrhea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotics and Chronic Diarrhea

Lucy is currently on a 30 day course of Cephelexin and Ketokonazole for skin infection which always brings on the diarrhea. She sees the dermatologist next month. We are giving a high potency probiotic, endosorb tabs 3 times a day and im adding in RC lowfat canned with her kibble. It has not improved. Vet just says as long as she acts fine, is eating and drinking, no worry. I feel awful for her!!! We have 20 more days of this...

I would stop the RC canned... I would add plain canned pumpkin and plain Greek yogurt
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

i don't know if it would be something you could do but any time i've had a dane with diarrhea or even loose stools, i give metronidazole for a couple of days. it usually always clears it right up. not sure if it can be given with what your pup is already on but it can't hurt to ask.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

I dont want to add more antibiotics to the mix. She had been on metronidazole before and it did the same thing....I have tried the plain pumpkin before and it did nothing. I have not tried the yogurt since she is already on a probiotic. We are switching back to fortiflora tomorrow. I took her into my regular vet this morning, her temp was on the high side (which could also be her stressed being at the vet ) and they gave her sub q fluids. Her temp went down some after the fluids. Atleast we know she is well hydrated. She is acting totally fine.

Comment

Plain pumpkin can work for diarrhea or for constipation.. If too much is given it won't work for diarrhea.It is recommended to give a tablespoon or 2 twice daily..
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Yes. We have tried that. Doesnt work. The endosorb wont even work after giving for 2 weeks.

Comment

Im stopping the endosorb and the RC LF. I bought some psyllium fiber powder off amazon. Bern Dog Brand Fiber for dogs. It also has dried beet powder. Fingers crossed it helps firm things up!

Comment

Working...
              X