No announcement yet.

When is the right time to say goodbye....please help with advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itís actually funny you should mention this because it was something we made sure to ask the vet about last night. Whether or not to have our other Dane present while the euthanasia is going on because Zeus is all he knows. Max, our younger Dane, was raised looking up to Zeus and so we feel itís imoortant to be there to know whatís going on. The vet said we can try to keep him calm to be there or to let him come in afterwards. I feel like weíre losing our minds over this and are looking at things from every which angle.

Comment

i would not have max in the room when the actual procedure is happening. you need to concentrate entirely on zeus and make sure he has your undivided attention. you don't want a moment to go by while you are dealing with max and forget to tell zeus something you want him to know. it'll be more than sufficient to have max in another room until zeus has crossed the bridge. once it is done, let max in to see zeus and pay his respects. don't make a big deal out of it, just let him in and let him take the lead. he may want to sniff and nudge a little or he may keep his distance. either way, he will instinctively know that zeus is gone and that's really all that he needs to know.

it just breaks my heart that you have to go through this. i've done it numerous times and it gets harder instead of easier. there is nothing easy about losing one of these big guys/girls. they always take a huge piece of our hearts with them. *sigh*
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thank you for all your insight....Iíll keep
        it in mind and keep Max out of the room until the time is right

Comment

My heart breaks for you. There is no greater pain than losing a beloved Dane. I lost mine to osteosarcoma of the thoracic spine 3.5 years ago. I still cry for her every day. On a much happier note, I'm now raising 2 female Danes who are magnificent, wonderful family members. The pain never goes away, however, you will be able to smile once again. All the best to you.

Comment

I just keep thinking how strange itís going to be when I come down stairs in the morning and he wonít be there to greet me. Iím sorry for your loss....seems like maybe time doesnít heal all wounds....

Comment

you're right. time doesn't necessarily heal but it does dull the pain. my son and his wife are preparing to have their beloved cat euthanized and it is killing them. i wish i could offer words of comfort but really, there aren't any. it's just something we have to go through when we become animal parents. i so wish they could live forever.
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

And the thing about it is that knowing itís going to happen again, we still put ourselves in the same situation every time we get a new pet

Comment

every time i have to do it, i tell myself no more dogs. you can see how that's working for me! lol
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

A house is not a home without a dog. My mom just put her dog down today and my heart hurts for her

Comment

I just made the most painful and difficult decision of my life to lay my best friend to rest and say goodbye. This loss is going to leave a huge hole in both my heart and home and weíre going to miss him so much. He was such a smart damn dog but Iím pretty sure his personality was bigger than his brain. All in all I could not have asked for a better dog to be by my side the past nine years of my life through good times and bad. He will live forever in our hearts and minds....RIP Zeus ❤️

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.
                        sigpic
                        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                        Associate Member GDCNE
                        Member GSPCA
                        Member NAVHDA
                        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you

Comment

i'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend. words just seem so hollow at a time like this. sending hugs and wishes for your comfort. <3
                            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thank you. It was so hard to watch / feel him slip away but I knew it was for the better. I just had to keep telling myself that heís just going to sleep and is no longer suffering. To be honest, when it was all said and done, I had a huge sense of relief that I no longer had to think about making the decision anymore and that heís peacefully at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus_146 View Post
                                when it was all said and done, I had a huge sense of relief that I no longer had to think about making the decision anymore and that heís peacefully at rest.
                                this is exactly what i try to tell people they can expect to feel when it's been a slow decline in a pet's health. some people don't get this feeling and go on to beat themselves up and sink into depression which is so very sad. i'm glad to know you are comforted by the thought of him no longer suffering. more hugs!!

[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X