Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Heat...Where are the best Diapers? Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Heat...Where are the best Diapers? Help!!

We are putting off Lucilles spay/pexy! She was scheduled April 28th. She has a history of puppy vaginitis and a hooded vulva. I was told by 2 different vets that if we spay her while she has the vaginitis, it will never go away. But might help with the hooded vulva. I think she is getting ready to start her first heat cycle!!! She is more swollen (floppy) than usual and licking more. Im not seeing any blood yet. Just the discharge. I have not had an intact female in 30 years! I need advice. I have read up online, but I want real people feedback. What is the "process", how long do they bleed, and how long can we wait till its safe to spay? Where do I find the best diapers for her? She is a 11 month old puppy and will chew through anything! And she is crated during the day. Help!

I know she is growing out of her puppy stage. But, I have noticed a slight change in her mood. She whines more on the puppy cam when we are gone. She used to gulp down 3 cups of food in 2 mins. Now she has slowed down and takes her time, which is a plus! I am taking her into my vet monday afternoon to confirm she is going into heat.
    Last edited by Bishop&Lucy; 03-16-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

There is no need to have a vet confirm if she is going in to heat or not..She is certainly old enough.. She will be in heat for 21 days but it is very wise to keep her completely supervised for an entire 4 weeks.. Don't let her out even in a fenced in yard without someone with her. She should not be spayed until at least 3 months after her heat stops... As far as the vaginitis it is a very, very common issue in female puppies of any breed/mix.. and it WILL go away even if it is present at time of spay, however it is best to not spay with any type of infection present. The immune system should be at it's optimum when surgery is performed. You may not be able to leave diapers of any type on her when she is crated and not supervised because if she is a chewer ingesting could cause blockage..
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

kahluadanes im taking her to get her anal glands done. She is a butt licker. She definitely started yesterday. Seen the rust colored discharge. Did not see a whole lot, but im assuming it will get heavier. I have no idea what to expect.

Comment

kahluadanes im thinking the reason she keeps getting the vaginitis is because she licks her bottom, then her lady bits at times. Im concerned about pyometra. Is it common in young females with their first heat? I have alot of questions for my vet today. Lol.

Comment

Some bleed a lot,some don't, some keep themselves so clean that it isn't noticeable at all, pyo is not common in younger dogs, but can happen.. It is rare with a first heat cycle. Getting vaginitis is not because she is a butt licker.. it is a very, very common thing in female puppies of all breeds/mixes.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

kahluadanes thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it

Comment

Working...
              X