Hooded Vulva

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooded Vulva

Lucy, my 9 month old has what I am told, a hooded vulva and has developed yeast issue from licking. She has puppy vaginitis off n on that we are hoping will clear with a heat cycle. Anybody else dealing with this? Tips please!!!

Keep it clean wipe after potty time... sometimes a heat cycle will "cure" a hooded vulva sometimes not. Puppy vaginitis is very common in all female puppies..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Dottie is a part of the hooded vulva club. I think her first heat cycle really helped out because she's never had any problems since having a little vaginitis as a puppy.

Apparently the smell of built up urine/yeast gives off the same smell as a dog in heat. I've noticed that around 3 weeks after a bath, Dottie will start to attract more "attention" than usual from other dogs, especially intact males. [She's been spayed since age 2] I've also noticed that the coyotes will start popping out of the woodwork and hanging around at the same time.

So every 3 weeks I'll give her a bath to freshen up her lady bits and, like magic, the extra attention vanishes and so do the coyotes. So far it's worked and she's never had a UTI.

Comment

kahluadanes SeaTheStars thank you so much for your feedback. Lucille will be 1 next month and we have her scheduled for her spay end of April. She had not had any vaginitis till I noticed yesterday she had some discharge, so it looks like the vaginitis is back. So, we want to wait till it clears up to do her spay/pexy. I was told if we dont, she will have it forever which we dont want.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop&Lucy View Post
          kahluadanes SeaTheStars thank you so much for your feedback. Lucille will be 1 next month and we have her scheduled for her spay end of April. She had not had any vaginitis till I noticed yesterday she had some discharge, so it looks like the vaginitis is back. So, we want to wait till it clears up to do her spay/pexy. I was told if we dont, she will have it forever which we dont want.
          I actually would wait longer if at all possible to get her spayed. It is best to wait until 18 months or older to spay..It is wise to wait on any type of infection to clear before any surgery ..you want the immune system as strong as possible ..as far as vaginitis not clearing up and being around for ever... I don't know who told you that but it is misinformation

sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

We are putting off her spay! I think she is getting ready to start her first heat cycle!!! She is more swollen (floppy) than usual and licking more. Im not seeing any blood yet. Just the discharge. I have not had an intact female in 30 years! I need advice. I have read up online, but I want real people feedback. What is the "process", how long do they bleed, and how long can we wait till its safe to spay? Where do I find the best diapers for her? She is a 11 month old puppy and will chew through anything! Help!

Comment

Working...
            X