Help! My dane can't get up easily

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My dane can't get up easily

My dane has been on Carprofen. Is there anything more I can give him to relieve his pain?

When our boy had problems getting up he was on Gabbapentin and Amantadin plus Tramadol
    sigpic

Comment

i agree with adding some gabapentin and ask your vet if you can increase the dosage of carprofen. i'm not familiar with Amantadin although tramadol can be good for pain relief, too.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Depends what the issues is and his over all medical condition..speak to your vet about this.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I was panicky because I couldn't take him to the vet. Called my vet who suggested gabapentin and prescribed correct dosage. I hope to keep him for a while!

Comment

my girl who will be 12 in april takes gabapentin and it helps her a lot. i take it myself for nerve pain and oh boy, i can really tell if i forget even one dose!

how old is your boy? my olivia also gets chiro once a month as well as acupuncture and i give her cold laser treatments every night on her hips, spine and knees. she also gets chondroprotec (similar to adequan but MUCH less expensive) injections once a month. these are all things you may want to discuss with your vet.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

My guy, Moostafa, is 6. Wow! Your girl is 12? That's incredible! He goes to get an adequan shot on Tues., but I'll ask about chondroprotec while there.

Comment

Are there any tips for giving your dane pills,capsules,etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by rena rhodes View Post
                  My guy, Moostafa, is 6. Wow! Your girl is 12? That's incredible! He goes to get an adequan shot on Tues., but I'll ask about chondroprotec while there.
                  yes, do ask about the chondroprotec, it is dramatically less expensive than adequan. i pay $65 for a 10cc bottle that lasts about 3 months.

have you tried giving the pill in a spoonful of peanut butter? that's my go-to and it works every time. other things you can try are cream cheese or a meatball made from wet food.

yup, olivia came from rescue when she was 8 years old. she will be 12 in april. it really is amazing because she is NOT a well-bred dane!
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

OK. Now that my guy is getting all of his medicine(carprofen, gabapentin) he has stopped eating. What can I do to stimulate his appetite?

Comment

Sometimes these meds can cause nausea..Speak to your vet about the lack of appetite.. You can add things like shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, lean meats, a good quality canned food, scrambled or boiled egg, cottage cheese, bone broth, unsalted chicken or beef broth... Also make sure you aren't giving the meds on an empty stomach.. always give with a tiny bit of food
                      sigpic
                      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                      Associate Member GDCNE
                      Member GSPCA
                      Member NAVHDA
                      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

agree with all of the above. if it goes on too long, your vet can prescribe an appetite stimulant for 2 or 3 days. also, ask your vet about giving your guy pepcid. i give olivia 1 pepcid 30 minutes before each meal and it helps with any acid reflux she may have.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X