Does anyone know what this is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what this is?

Hello everyone! It’s our first post here and we’re just trying to figure out what’s going on with our baby boy Pluto. He’s a blue Dane that’s 5 months and 3 weeks old. It all started about four months ago when we got him. Raised bumps on his skin got our attention the bumps started on his head then they moved through his body, from his head to his back to his tail then down to his legs. The bumps are like raised pimples if you squeeze them puss will come out and then left behind is hair loss in that spot. They scab over and produce white dandruff, where the spots are the hair falls out but eventually comes back . Upon taking him to the vet they told us that it was a case of folliculitis so they put him on some antibiotics and prescribed us a shampoo, it helped but it didn’t clear up completely. At this time he was on taste of the wild Sierra mountain. The bumps didn’t go away until we went on vacation for a week to Hawaii. He stayed at my fathers house the whole week and was eating different food. When we got back to our excitement the bumps had disappeared and he has a beautiful shiny coat! After being back home for about a week the bumps started to appear again, our first thought was maybe he’s allergic to his food, so now we’ve switched him to Wellness Core Large breed puppy. The spots have come back and just gotten worse, our vet didn’t necessarily have a straight forward answer for us so we decided to get a second opinion

The vet we saw this week prescribed us another shampoo and conditioner that he said should help it disappear. Now here we are today and it hasn’t gotten any better. I’m just curious if anyone else has seen these bumps or had this same issue? We hate to see our baby like this and we’ve tried everything we can think of to fix it. He’s on fish oil, vitamin C, and wellness core large breed, and glycoflex 600 MG.

everything we have tried has seemed to fail. We’ve done different shampoos, antibiotics, switched foods, washed all of our bedding in all natural detergent/cleaned all of his toys and given him supplements. The spots don’t seem to bother him besides being mildly itchy. I’ve attached some photos to look at. Thanks for all of your input and responses ahead of time!

Comment

Did the vet do a skin scraping? What was the food he was eating when you were on vacation?
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Yes the skin scraping was negative. Instinct Raw, the protein levels were extremely high though 38%

Comment

Protein isn't an issue especially when it comes from all or mainly all meat sources.. What you need to watch closely is calcium/phosphorous levels... absolutely no higher than 1.5 calcium, 1.0 phosphorous and really it should be more at 1.2 calcium, .08 phosphorous... Unless it is medically needed I would drop the glycoflex for now.. it really isn't needed at this age unless the pup came from questionable breeder or has a medical issue... Also would go for a food with more meat/meat meal content and less plant ingredients...
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA

Comment

What food would you suggest? We are looking at hokistic natural select

Comment

Do you really think something as simple as his food could be causing that serious of an issue?

Comment

when it comes to great danes, something as "simple" as food can absolutely cause these and many other issues. i'd check the calcium/phosphorous levels on the Instinct Raw as kahluadanes has suggested and if those are within proper levels, do a gradual switch to that food and see if his skin clears up.
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

I didn’t mean to sound like the food wasn’t the most important part to raising a healthy Dane, is there any foods that you have personal experience with that you’d suggest?

Comment

Personally I would try the food that he did so well on while you were on vacation if it is within safe calcium/phosphorous levels.
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA

Comment

Hello. My 2y/o male pup is having the same issues (plus soft poop). He was eating Blue Buffalo (fish and oat) when this started (he is a rescue, we had to just pick a food without knowing his previous diet). Switched to boiled chicken and rice yesterday. I will update you on my results. Good luck with you pup. Please let us know what more info/solution you get.

Comment

Make sure not to keep on the chicken and rice long term since it lacks proper nutrition.
                        sigpic
                        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                        Associate Member GDCNE
                        Member GSPCA
                        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Make sure not to keep on the chicken and rice long term since it lacks proper nutrition.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thanks!!! He's much better now!

Comment

Working...
                            X