12 week old Great Dane puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 week old Great Dane puppy

I just bought Willow three days ago. Her breeder said she was a healthy weight for a Great Dane pup. As a first-time owner, I am worried she is too skinny. I can see all of her ribs. She gets one cup at 7:30 AM, one cup at 3:00 PM, and another at 10:00 PM. She is eating Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice Large Breed Adult Food. Is she too skinny? Is this food schedule okay? Is the food good for a Great Dane puppy? Should she get fed by a raised feeder? I did research, of course, but I have my worries.

How much exercise should she be getting? How much is too much? I know she isn't supposed to exercise an hour before or after eating, due to the risk of bloat. Should I let her play alone or should I play with her? Are walks okay and for how long? She is also getting attached to me way more than any other member of my household. She is always by me. She won't lay down for longer than two minutes with someone else. Should I be worried?

I would really appreciate all my questions answered. I'm sorry there are so many. I don't want to ask a vet because they aren't specifically taught about Great Danes and their needs.

Get off the Diamond adult food and on to a better quality food. The idea of adult food has been debunked.. also many adult foods don't have the correct calcium/phosphorous levels for a growing Dane puppy. Calcium should not be over 1.5 (lower around 1.2 is best) Phosphorous not over 1.0 (lower around .08 is best).Make sure the food has a named meat/meat meal as at least 2-4 ingredients and low on plant ingredients. Do a slow switch over 10 -14 days. Amount to feed depends on the food being fed and the pup/dogs body condition.. A Dane puppy should be lean with the last 2-3 ribs barely visible. The hips and spine should not show.. If you do a raised feeder do not raise it over elbow/chest high. Raising too high increases the risk of bloat. Feeding 3 times daily is a good idea at this age. Normal puppy play is fine, forced exercise or long walks should be avoided at this age. I would also recommend you get her into a good obedience class.. This is good for proper socialization as well as teaching them (and you) to listen during distractions. Don't dismiss the knowledge of a vet so easily.. there are some that are very knowledgable in large/giant breeds.. however when it comes to food most aren't for any dog breed/mix since they only get general study that covers everything from cats to rats, dogs to hogs and they tend to recommend foods that are pushed by reps or that they see advertised,
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
    X