Infected toenail treatment ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infected toenail treatment ?

My almost 3 year old Dane has an infected toenail. This is secondary to a bigger issue she has with contracted. Tendons but I’m dealing with that. My question is, what are your best treatments for infected toenails? How long has it taken to heal? I soak her foot in Epsom salts, clean it with surgical scrub and apply ointment- once a day. Experience? Success stories?

Keep t clean and dry... if it doesn't start to clear within a day or two or worsens contact your vet.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

We've already seen he vet. Was wondering if anyone had dealt with an infection with success. They are hard to treat from what I have read.

Comment

They aren't that bad really as long as you keep it clean and dry.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

An infected toe nail needs an antibiotic. Soaks and scrubs won't do the trick. An infected toenail, even kept clean or dry, can easily become a bone infection. Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience in this area with our pit mix. You are right though, it can be hard to treat and clear. Our vet even had a toe issue with his dane that wouldn't heal. They ended up amputating the toe.

If he has been to the vet and the toenail is infected, the vet should have put him on AB'.s
          sigpic

Comment

My assumption was they were on an antibiotic since they had been to the vet for the issue .. Keeping clean and dry, putting a sock on to help keep dirt out and if it is raining or wet out putting a plastic bag or other waterproof cover on before going out will be a huge help... Also if need be get boots … Dealt with this on many occasions at the vets and also a few times personally... never had trouble getting to heal unless there was another underlying issue or infection had been let go too long without treatment... only had a couple that required lengthy treatment and in one case amputation of the toe...
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
            X