Puppy Weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy Weight

Hi everyone! We have 2 Great Dane puppies. Our female is almost 9 weeks old/17 pounds and our male is almost 12 weeks old/37 pounds. My question is about how much they should be eating. I am feeding Purina One SmartBlend Large Breed puppy food. I have been giving my girl 5 cups a day spread out 3 times. I have been giving my male 7 cups spread out 3 times a day. My male acts like he is starving at certain points during the day and he is ribby. My female leaves food in her dish aometimes. Should I be feeding by weight? I was looking at the great dane lady’s chart but wasn’t sure if it is accurate. The amounts I am feeding were recommended by the vet but the puppies are growing so fast that surely they should be adjusted for growth? Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by 2DanesHere; 06-02-2018, 02:15 PM.

I also wanted to add that the vet told us that our male is “”freakishly large”” because he is so big boned and tall.

Comment

I would start by researching better quality foods. Purina as a whole is overpriced chicken feed. When it comes to weight, the bag is more of a guideline. Feed based on body condition. Danes should be lean to prevent bone and joint issues.

Separate from your question, you have two very young danes that will need individual training away from each other. You should research raising siblings to get an idea of what you could be dealing with.
      ~ Erin ~
      "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
      sigpic

Comment

They are currently being trained separately and doing well with it. We have raised sibling puppies before and have rescued MANY dogs. We have never had puppies that are this large though. We have typically had Boston Terriers, Pugs, Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, and several litters of rescue puppies. But thank you for the advice. We are taking our girl to the vet for a follow up this morning so I will consult her about the food and quantity again. We originally kept them on the food they were on because one of them had a parasite that caused horrible diarrhea so the vet wanted her stool to stabilize first. Do you have a recommendation for large breed puppy food?
        Last edited by 2DanesHere; 06-04-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Get off the Purina food.. it is a low quality food way too high in plant ingredients and too low in good meat/meat meal sources.. As far as vet recommendations they aren't usually the best sources since they only get general study that covers everything from cats to rats, dogs to hogs.. They tend to recommend foods pushed by reps or that they see advertised.. Most have no idea what is even in the foods they recommend. Any food you feed needs to have a named meat/meat meal source as at least the first 2-4 ingredients.. watch out for fragmented plant ingredients... stay away from corn, wheat, soy, glutens, animal digest and unnamed meat/meat meal/fat sources. A Dane puppy should never be over fed and you need to be careful of the calcium/phosphorous levels. They need to have a slow, even growth. A Dane puppy should be lean and the last 2-3 ribs should be just visible. A Dane puppy should never be chunky. NEVER go by charts or guides on the bag..each pup is different even within the same litter..Amount to feed depends on food being fed and how each puppy utilizes it.. Also 37 pounds for a 12 week old pup isn't that big it is pretty well within the low normal range .. Height/weight/growth depends on bloodlines and how they grow and mature. Many 7-8-9 weeks olds weigh in the 20's..so you are with in the low end of average. I'm guessing your vet doesn't have much by way of giant breed experience.. "big boned and tall doesn't make your male freakishly large at all... Switch to a better food..do a slow switch over 10 -14 days... some good quality foods, Chicken Soup large breed puppy, Taste of the Wild (either puppy formula), Fromm, Victor (some formulas), American Journey (some formulas) among many other good foods Please ALWAYS double check to make sure that calcium is not over 1.5 and phosphorous not over 1.0 (lower on both is best ) and never over feed.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you for the recommends. I checked the Purina SmartBlend Large Breed puppy food and it is 1.1 for calcium and .8 for phos but it does have a few ingredients you mentioned it shouldn’t have. The breeder we got our girl from recommended to switch her to adult food (Victor Glucosamine) at 12 weeks but I don’t want to make that decision yet. The breeder for the male said to keep him on puppy food until he is neutered. I have never switched a puppy that early so that is different than I am used to. Her parents are Euro Danes and she said that is why she recommended it.
            We used to own horses and I have found that having Danes is much like that. Many conflicting views of how to care for them. I welcome the advice, though guys because we want to know what’s good for our babies! ❤️

Comment

There is no such thing as a "Euro" Dane.. Sadly that is nothing more an irresponsible breeder term. The breed standard is the same regardless of country of origin and feeding is the same regardless..A Dane is a Dane regardless and growth in puppies should always be slow and steady..Purina is a low quality food.. it is way too high in plant ingredients and other not good stuff and way to low in meat sources...Do not switch to an adult food (it use to be the "thing" to do but no longer since most adult foods are too high in calcium/phosphorous including ones that use to be in the safe levels.As far as foods containing glucosamine go...really not helpful since they really don't contain enough to make a difference.. If you want to give it then you are far better off and a lot more benefit to give a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement... There really isn't conflicting info on feeding among people who have done their homework, kept up on current research, kept up on foods & nutrition, etc.. sadly too many people have not which is why it seems conflicting... Myself personally have studied food & nutrition for 25 years and kept up on research and studies as well as been a Dane owner for 40 years and vet tech for 43.. I try to keep up on all the research and foods.. it is continuing education.. I also belong to a Dane club and keep up with info on the GDCA site good luck with your babies..
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA

Comment

Also do not spay/neuter until at least 18 months of age.. Doing so earlier increases the risks of certain bone cancers, nongenetic hip dysplasia, tendon tears and doesn't allow the growth plates to close when they should.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X