Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have experience with Fibrocartilaginous Embolism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have experience with Fibrocartilaginous Embolism?

My sweet girl, Beau, just turned 8 on the 18th. She has had no issues with her health and no injuries her entire life. I left for work Friday morning and she was fine. I came home at noon and she was sitting on the rug, unable to stand an use her back legs. I immediately took her to the vet and they originally suspected a herniated disc in her spine. But she was not acting like she was in any pain and her xrays looked perfect. The vet then started talking about this fibrocartilaginous embolism (FCE). It's basically fluid from inside the disc in the spine that someone gets into the arteries that feed the spinal cord and causes an embolism which "kills" that section of the spinal cord, causing paralysis. From what the vet says, there's no real treatment to correct this and there is a very small chance of recovery. They said I need to start considering her quality of life and thinking about the possibility of having to put her down. I'm heartbroken at the thought of losing my baby. She's not sick, or "hurt"...she just can't move her back legs. I asked her vet about possibly trying one of those doggy wheelchairs and she said it's an option but it won't significantly improved her quality of life. I work 8-10 hours a day so Beau is home alone that whole time. I don't think I'd be able to leave her in a wheelchair while I'm gone because she wouldn't be able to lay down. and if she's not in it, she can't move. Just reaching out here to see if anyone has had any experience with a paralyzed dane or has any other ideas/recommendations before I really have to think about putting her down.
    sigpic
Working...
X