Tail amputation recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail amputation recovery

How long does recovery typically take from a tail amputation? One of our Danes has to have his tail amputated next Tuesday. ( Happy tail that won’t heal. ) The next Friday (10 days later) my husband and I are scheduled to go out of town. We are fortunate that our daughter will stay with him and she works for the vet that is doing his surgery. She has taken the time off of work to be with him while we’re gone.

Do you you think he will be healed enough for us to leave? I’m a worried momma.

you should be fine! one of my past dane boys had his tail amputated (same reason, stupid happy tail) and within a couple of days, i had trouble keeping him quiet. the important thing is to keep him from playing too much during the first week to 10 days as he can develop a seroma at the surgical site. even that isn't the end of the world as it resorbs on its on. samson got one, it looked like a golf ball on the end of his nub. LOL
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

I think that's harder on you than on him. The wound will probably be bandaged for around 6weeks, with bandages which have to be changed every other day (but your daughter probably knows about that since she works for a Vet), but in 10 days the worst part will pass. I think the dog will be more than ok. It seems like your daughter will take good care of him. Good luck!

Comment

Charlene,
        Hope your pup is doing well, i am curious how the recovery went. We have a similar situation with our pup. Tail amputation tomorrow and planned trip about 15 days later. I would feel like since her spay/pexy healed well enough in a couple weeks that the tail would be no biggie. Vet said will be okay but need to be very careful. Just interested i. Someone else’s experience!
        sigpic
        Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
        Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
        In Memory of our beloved Jake
        forever in our hearts

Comment

thanks! samson was a rescue, i got him when he was 3. a very short 7 months later, i lost him to dilated cardiomyopathy. he got very sick very quickly and there was nothing we could do.

he had had the happy tail long before i got him. he was being cared for by a young couple who lived in a tiny house. it must have looked like a slaughterhouse!! i tried treating it with antibiotics and keeping it wrapped and in a sling that went under his back end. i changed the dressing numerous times every day but nothing helped. after about 3 weeks, the end 3" of his tail became necrotic and smelled like rotting meat. it was horrible!! i went ahead with the amputation and once he healed, he felt SOOO much better!! it really was an easy process. his nub did bleed a tiny tiny tiny bit post-op so i kept it wrapped for a couple of days until that stopped. you really don't want to keep it wrapped any longer than absolutely necessary while it heals. the stitches came out at 14 days and it was completely healed within days after.
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

We’re now 9 days out and Zepp is doing fantastic! He has more energy now. He still has his cone of shame and I asked my daughter to keep it on him while we’re gone. Thank you all!

Comment

that's great to hear!! samson was the same way so i know it must have caused him a lot of pain before the amputation. always wished i had done it right away!
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
              X