trazadone for vet appointment/spay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trazadone for vet appointment/spay?

Ok here's a little background on my situation. I have a 10 month old great dane female, we've had the same vet since she was 8 weeks. She's always been a little nervous at the vet but she always had cooperated and let them do their job. Our most recent visit did not go well at all, she had a different vet than usual the vet was barely able to examine her because she was so jumpy and nervous and the vet was in a big hurry and didn't take the time to let Olive warm up to her before she started trying to examine her. Anyway, my plan is to switch vets after she gets spayed in 3 weeks thinking that maybe starting over somewhere new would help ease her nervousness and with the hope that we will be able to find a vet that will understand how to handle fearful dogs. I was talking to the vet today about ways I could help her be more comfortable there before she comes in to get spayed, she suggested trazadone for the day of the spay, I'm a little nervous about giving it to her because I'm not one to medicate my dog but I also don't want her to be traumatized when I leave her. Has anyone used trazadone or know of any side effects or benefits?

Do not get her spayed yet!!! Wait until she is at least 18 months old. There are many studies that link increase in bone cancers, lack of proper muscle development, lack of growth plates closing when they should among other things in dogs spayed before growth is nearly complete. I would also suggest just going into the vets office to "visit" no demands no appointment, making it a positive experience.. I also suggest going to the GDCA site and reading the surgery guidelines and printing them off to bring to your vet.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by Kweyhrich View Post
      Ok here's a little background on my situation. I have a 10 month old great dane female, we've had the same vet since she was 8 weeks. She's always been a little nervous at the vet but she always had cooperated and let them do their job. Our most recent visit did not go well at all, she had a different vet than usual the vet was barely able to examine her because she was so jumpy and nervous and the vet was in a big hurry and didn't take the time to let Olive warm up to her before she started trying to examine her. Anyway, my plan is to switch vets after she gets spayed in 3 weeks thinking that maybe starting over somewhere new would help ease her nervousness and with the hope that we will be able to find a vet that will understand how to handle fearful dogs. I was talking to the vet today about ways I could help her be more comfortable there before she comes in to get spayed, she suggested trazadone for the day of the spay, I'm a little nervous about giving it to her because I'm not one to medicate my dog but I also don't want her to be traumatized when I leave her. Has anyone used trazadone or know of any side effects or benefits?
      It's commonly given out to paranoid schizophrenics. There's a number of possible side effects.

Comment

Hi there,

Not sure if you have made a decision but I wanted to share with you my insight. My Eddie has been on Trazadone for well over a year daily. We started with 150 mg BID (2 times a day). At first he was a bit offside and acted really out of sorts. TBH he was quite a miserable bugger. It took a good 2 weeks for him to stabilize and it is was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Eddie is not afraid of thunder or vet clinics, but he was high stress and afraid of every other aspect of the world. So scared that he was air biting so we ended up training him to wear a muzzle just in case. Since starting the Trazadone, we have now reduced the dose to 1 pill at bed time and he is able to calmly walk into a Pet Store etc and actually greet people. He is still object/motion sensitive reactions but he actually allows people to feed him treats. Just over a year ago he was wearing a muzzle in public and when people came over to visit. Today, company can walk in and he will say hello in time.

The key to my success was using the drug as an assist. We started it and gave it a good six months of walks by himself with little external contact (no risk of running into people/dogs). I live in a city so it was challenging but I made time and found places around town that were deserted at certain times of the day and would take him then. From there we slowly increased exposure and had people we knew randomly meet us on walks and give him treats. It really helped. Now anywhere I go he goes with me and I am always armed with treats! I tell people he is scared and ask if they will give him a treat. Most oblige and Eddie warms right up!

My point is that it's not necessarily the best drug for one off issues (thunder etc) but if it's being recommended then there are likely stress related issues external to just vet visits. It is also commonly used to alleviate post-operative anxiety as the animal is coming out of the anesthetic.

Remember, If you medicate, it won't be a miracle over night. It took us a LONG time to get Eddie half way normal. :-)

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
        X