Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed

Good morning.
    i have a 4 month old male dane. And he is cryptorchid, not both but one. My conflict is do I wait until he's a year to have him neutered. Or at 6 months to remove? I'm struggling. Because I know that cryptorchid males have a 17% more chance of developing cancer. But I also do not want to mess up his growth by neutering too soon.. I'm desperate for answers!

I'd wait until a year. He isn't going to develop cancer in 6 months. It isn't a sure thing that they develop cancer anyway.

Comment

I would recommend waiting until he is a year... The risk at this point isn't high but the older he gets after maturity the higher the risk becomes.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

What about Tortion of the teste inside? How often does that happen?

Comment

It can happen but isn't super common especially in pups the age yours is right now. At this point I would be more concerned with risk of growth plates not closing when they should and causing excess growth, bone cancer and a few other things then the risk of testicular cancer or torsion of the retained testicle. I would wait unti lhe is at least 12 months old before neutering him.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you everyone! I called around to some vets and they also say I can wait and not worry. My mind is eased. This is my first dane puppy so I want to do it right!

Comment

Working...
            X