Back legs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back legs?

Hey there guys, I've been lurking around in the forums for a little while but have been driving myself crazy the last few days and wondered if maybe you can offer some advice? I know there is nothing better than a vets opinion but it would be nice to have input. I apologize if this is too long.

A little background, I have worked for years in shelter environments rescuing and working with several different breeds and have had the pleasure on working with GDs. it's how I fell so in love with the breed. This is my first time owning 2 of my own from puppy hood. My babies, Zulu and Luna are now 6 months old and going through a growth spurt and recently at first zulus legs started looking a little weird. I've attached a video of him walking which in this video and now, he's 10xs better than he was at first. I suspect he's pretty cow hocked but the vet is so gun-ho on the fact that it's HD. I'm worried that because she doesn't have much experience with the breed that it might not be that. The breeder has seen the same video and is convinced he's just cow hocked pretty badly. Do you guys think so or does it look more like it could be something else? I appreciate any feedback and again, I know there's no better way than getting the x ray to which we are working on now. Just looking for opinions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29...JNRHhfQ2c/view

I know it's not the best video but it was the only one I could post for now. Zulu is the one with the blue collar.

Comment

Some pups develop looking like this. It doesn't mean hip dysplasia. Wait it out. It should get better as they mature. The rear might not ever be correct conformation wise but it will most likely improve as they age. I would wait on the x-rays.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
        Some pups develop looking like this. It doesn't mean hip dysplasia. Wait it out. It should get better as they mature. The rear might not ever be correct conformation wise but it will most likely improve as they age. I would wait on the x-rays.
        Thank you so much for replying. I think we are going to wait it out cause he's getting a little better as the days go on and with the glucosamine. The doctor automatically jumped into getting tpo surgery for him so if by month 9/10 and it looks bad then we still have time to get him xrayed etc.

Comment

2 years of age is the best time to have a dane x-rayed. By then their hips have developed and you will get a true reading. X-rays should be sent to the OFA not just read by the Vet.

Comment

I'm not a vet, but my Simon had a serious back leg issue at around 4-5 months old; severe enough that he lost mobility and had to be carried outside to potty for almost 2 months.
            From the little bit I saw ion the video, it doesn't appear to be nerve damage and his sciatic and radial reflexes look to be functional.
            In MY opinion (not a professional or medical opinion), it looks to be either a congenital bow-leggedness, HOD, or wobblers.
            I suppose it COULD be Hip Dysplasia... but I wouldn't jump to that right away.

My Simon wound up having skeletal & nerve damage as a result of growth plates pinching a nerve in his hip after an aggressively rapid growth spurt.
            Here's my original post about Simon's condition a few years ago

FYI, I generally agree with CarolB's sentiment about when to X-Ray in principle... but with one caveat:
            Two years is the perfect time for routine screening, but screening for cause is an exception; imo, injuries and glaring defects/deformities warrant screening for cause.
            I don't know if your little guy's legs qualify; that's up to you.
            Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 05-24-2017, 06:28 AM.
            - Chris
            "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
            sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, just an update - his legs are pretty much back to normal. We changed his food and kept him off the wood floors as much as possible (carpeted the house) and they spaced out normally and growing beautifully. It does appear that he's a bit cow hocked / bow legged in the back. I appreciate the responses. (:

Comment

Working...
              X