Recommended Joint Supplement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Joint Supplement

My Dane puppy, now 10 months old, is growing nicely. He is currently 130 lbs and 33" tall (at the shoulder), nice and lean. Now that he has done most of his "vertical" growing, I have been exercising him a bit more. Specifically, I have been taking him out running with me. These runs are 3 times a week for about 20 min. At my pace, (which is an average 9:30 mile pace) he is at a nice slow and easy trot, and has no problems keeping up with me (and most of time wants to run faster if I would let him).

I have been feeding him Fromm Large Breed puppy food, which has worked out well. But now I am interested in providing him some supplements, specifically a good joint supplement as healthy joints are important in any large/giant breed dog. I know glucosamine is a good joint supplement in general. But I wanted to hear any recommendations for a good joint supplement (i.e. specific brand) that I can give to my Dane to support good joint health/development as he continues to mature into his adult years.

Thanks!

Since you are feeding a good quality food there is no need to add any supplements.. I will caution you though that he should not go out running yet... growth can continue until at least 2 years of age.. Danes typically grow in height until 18 months to 2 years with some lines growing until 3 years of age.. They typically fill out from 2-3 years of age with some lines not until 4 years of age. It is usually advised not to take running/jogging until they are at least 18 months with 2 years being best.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Since you are feeding a good quality food there is no need to add any supplements.. I will caution you though that he should not go out running yet... growth can continue until at least 2 years of age.. Danes typically grow in height until 18 months to 2 years with some lines growing until 3 years of age.. They typically fill out from 2-3 years of age with some lines not until 4 years of age. It is usually advised not to take running/jogging until they are at least 18 months with 2 years being best.
      Thanks for the advice on the supplements.

Regarding running with my Dane, I have read through several of the threads about the topic. My overall opinion is that I think Dane owners in general seem to think these dogs are so fragile, when they are not (think about what these dogs were originally bred for). That being said, I recognize that a Dane is not a sporting breed dog requiring extensive exercise (like a lab, pointer, sheep dog, etc) due to loads of energy. Walking with my Dane, now that he has reached most of his full adult height, doesn't do much for him - after a 20 min walk, his long legs have hardly moved (compared to the same walk with my Westie and his legs move like a hamster on a wheel spinner). I purposely waited until he had done most of his vertical growing to allow his joints to develop and strengthen. Now that his remaining weight will come on much slower as he "bulks up" a bit (his dad was 150 lbs), the nice and easy runs I do with him will only serve to help strengthen his legs and help to keep him in overall good athletic shape with moderate exercise. When I do run with him at my relatively slow pace (which is only 3 times a week), his slow trot is just that, a slow trot.

I am not a vet, but from a physical fitness perspective (even for a dog) my methodology above just makes sense to me. But I recognize there are several opinions out there, this is just mine .

Comment

Originally posted by jmciver View Post

Thanks for the advice on the supplements.

Regarding running with my Dane, I have read through several of the threads about the topic. My overall opinion is that I think Dane owners in general seem to think these dogs are so fragile, when they are not (think about what these dogs were originally bred for). That being said, I recognize that a Dane is not a sporting breed dog requiring extensive exercise (like a lab, pointer, sheep dog, etc) due to loads of energy. Walking with my Dane, now that he has reached most of his full adult height, doesn't do much for him - after a 20 min walk, his long legs have hardly moved (compared to the same walk with my Westie and his legs move like a hamster on a wheel spinner). I purposely waited until he had done most of his vertical growing to allow his joints to develop and strengthen. Now that his remaining weight will come on much slower as he "bulks up" a bit (his dad was 150 lbs), the nice and easy runs I do with him will only serve to help strengthen his legs and help to keep him in overall good athletic shape with moderate exercise. When I do run with him at my relatively slow pace (which is only 3 times a week), his slow trot is just that, a slow trot.

I am not a vet, but from a physical fitness perspective (even for a dog) my methodology above just makes sense to me. But I recognize there are several opinions out there, this is just mine .
        No Danes aren't fragile or delicate like many people seem to think and yes they were bred for hunting, however because of their size care has to be taken on their joints, muscles and tendons until they have reached growth.. it is advised not to run /jog with Danes until they are at least 18 months of age... it is not based on opinion but rather on orthopedic facts... while growth has indeed slowed down from what it was from 4 months to 8 months or so it is still there and growth can continue until at least 2 years of age (and depending on line until 3 years).. I'm not a vet but am a long time vet tech (43 years) and Dane owner/trainer for 40 years.. If you do want to start supplements in the future a good glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement is what you will want.. but as long as your dog comes from health tested parents and is kept at a nice healthy lean weight and is fed a good quality food you shouldn't need to start them until he is 4-5 years of age unless he experiences injury or other issues..
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

I bought a dane so i wouldnt have to take him for walks or runs lol... jk. Im with Kahlua on this one. Running a young dane isnt worth the risk of doing some long term damage to there hips especially if its on concrete. Anyway your original question was about supplements. I give my pup this.

Xerxes Knight GD (April 29 2016 - present)
          Hannibal Knight GD (July 15 2003 - Nov 5 2015)

Comment

Inaddition to Dane we also have German Shorthairs which we hunt and test in NAVHDA.. we don't force run them a lot during their growth times either.. there is risk of injury to muscles & tendons .
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

i've tried numerous expensive joint supplements. olivia's chiropractic vet suggested i just put her on pure MSM which i did several months ago. she showed marked improvement with just that so we are staying the course.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X