Injured back leg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured back leg

Hello! I am new to the forum. I have a male 5 month old Great Dane puppy named Dexter. He hurt his back leg 6 days ago while playing with our English bulldog. We took him to the emergency vet that night because he wasn't putting weight on the leg. The vet recommended 7-10 days crate rest and taking him to go out on a leash. They also put him on Rimadyl. We have been doing this (which is extremely hard keeping a 5 mth puppy still). He is still limping so Tuesday the vet is going to sedate him and take x-rays. Any thoughts on what could be going on while we wait for Tuesday to come? We are worried about a growth plate injury. Has anyone has a similar experience?

It is likely a soft tissue injury, however it can be a knee issue, ligament tear, hip injury...several possabilities.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

That is what the vet is thinking. But, both the vet and us are concerned that he is still limping six days later while on pain meds. The x-rays will at least give a a piece of mind about any issues or if it is hopefully just a soft tissue injury. I spent a few hours laying in his crate with him today cause I feel so bad for him in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrick77 View Post
        That is what the vet is thinking. But, both the vet and us are concerned that he is still limping six days later while on pain meds. The x-rays will at least give a a piece of mind about any issues or if it is hopefully just a soft tissue injury. I spent a few hours laying in his crate with him today cause I feel so bad for him in there.
        If it is a knee injury, ligament injury, hip injury it can take quite a while to heal..If it is pain meds won't take away the limping, they will just make him more comfortable while he heals.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I have a seven year old dane who did the same thing. On three legs from a zoomie mishap. He's been on rest and NSAIDS for two weeks. He's better, really very happy, and uses the leg, but still limps, so we're just going to go slow and steady with him and keep him on a low dose of meds as he heals. We had no growth plate issues to worry about though, so further vet care is a good idea in your case.
          Tracy
          sigpic
          Mouse April 2010
          Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
          X