Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pancreatitis?

Hey there,

Haven't posted a ton on this forum, but it's been my go-to source of information since becoming a first time great dane owner 6 years ago. I did a search for pancreatitis but didn't come across any posts. Maybe I'm searching wrong with the new search tools, but thought someone must have gone through this with their dog before and wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Just got a call from the vet--Pilot has pancreatitis. For about the past week he's had really bad, watery diarrhea that got progressively worse. We've been through diarrhea episodes before that usually cleared up with bland diet in 24-48 hours but this one keep going and as the week went on he seemed to get worse and even a bit nauseous as well (vomited twice yesterday). His activity level was normal so we weren't too concerned at first and thought he had a bad bug or something, but the vomiting in addition to diarrhea made us more concerned. So we took him into vet this morning and they ran blood work, tests for parasites,fecal, test for pancreatitis etc and gave him fluids. Vet called just now and said all tests were normal but the pancreatitis test came back positive. She wasn't super concerned because we gave him the fluids this morning and we've already been feeding him bland and he hasn't been acting lethargic or sick, but said to keep a close eye the next week, continue with bland and then try to reintroduce his regular food if his symptoms clear up next week. She did say we would need to watch him for symptoms the rest of his life as pancreatitis is more likely to return now that he's had it once.

We've been trying to figure out what might have triggered this. We haven't made major changes to his diet or routine. The only thing we can think of is we have been working more with treats (hot dogs mostly) during behavior training and that it could be from the hot dogs. Wondering if anyone else has been through pancreatitis with their dane? Pilot will be 7 this summer so I know we are slowly entering the senior years, but this is our most serious health incident yet and honestly not one we were prepared for. Welcome your thoughts and insights!

I have two 10 year old danes that have been raw fed since weaning. Could eat anything. About a year ago they both got sick at different times. They can't handle fat meat anymore. Vomited and were really sick. Took several days to get over it. They eat mostly chicken and turkey now which is lean with a little bit of beef. I put the female on frozen Bil-Jac one meal a day. So, probably it's the hot dogs. Some people train using frozen Bil-Jac. You can wad it up into little balls and dogs just love it. While they were sick I gave them Pepto Bismol. Just old age problems.

Comment

Our oldest dog has this problem too. Our vet told us to quit giving any extra food that has a lot of salt and fat, as that would bring on another episode. It's a bummer, we like giving good treats now and then. But if we do, he really pays for it.

Comment

thanks for the info and advice. I'm betting it was the hot dogs. I'll definitely give the Bil Jac a try for treats now. Guess it's just part of an aging dog that we'll have to deal with from now on!

Comment

Hopefully this is just a one time occurrence, but if you are concerned with it developing into more of a chronic condition, then check out epi4dogs. It has a lot of information regarding diet, pancreatitis, and epi. The website focuses on exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (epi), but gives insight to other related conditions and includes many personal accounts.
          Dedicated to helping pet owners determine if their dog or cat has EPI. Malabsorption, diarrhea, weight lose, inappropriate appetite, etc....and how to manage it. EPI4Dogs Foundation, Inc. is a 501c3 Non-Profit Public Charity Organization.

Comment

Originally posted by TuckeredOut View Post
            Hopefully this is just a one time occurrence, but if you are concerned with it developing into more of a chronic condition, then check out epi4dogs. It has a lot of information regarding diet, pancreatitis, and epi. The website focuses on exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (epi), but gives insight to other related conditions and includes many personal accounts.
            Wow this is a great resource--thank you! He seems to be doing much better since vet visit, fluids and our small diet changes, but we are watching closely for future changes. Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
            X