Got my boy back!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my boy back!!!

Awhile back I decided to have Ferg's thyroid levels checked at the suggestion of a breeder friend. She knew he was really sluggish and slept a lot, and was familiar with the allergy and behavior issues we had dealt with, so thought it was worth checking. After the first test he was low- his T4 was at a 1.7, and for his age my vet wants him at around 3, so she put him on thyroxine, 1mg 2X a day. Monday, Jan 18, was the 30 day mark so he had a re-check. His levels were up, but still not high enough so she increased his dose to 1.3mg 2X a day, then cut his Prozac (for his God-awful anxiety) from 20mg 2X a day to just once a day.

I have done an obedience trial with Ferg once, and a few rally trials, along with several matches at trials, but as his anxiety worsened I decided to stop competing. Eventually he was bad enough that he couldn't even be calm at my trainer's house for classes, so we stopped doing that too. He just stressed WAY too much. Since starting the thyroid meds I've taken him out there a couple times just to hang out and watch. Last week I did a VERY tiny bit of work with him, 1 recall and a really short heeling pattern, gave him a zillion cookies then let him out in her yard to go play. This week I decided to try the rally pattern she had set up. Another lady was there with her Xolo who is Ferg's nemesis, so I asked her if she would stay out and watch us, for distraction. Not only did Ferg work for me with this other dog and handler there, he gave me great attention, he heeled beautifully, AND he did nearly perfect on an advanced level pattern!!!

I took him inside her barn where we do classes in bad weather, and there were a few dogs crated inside. He was worried at first but after a minute or two he totally ignored them and worked great. I did one pattern on leash, another off leash, then 2 recalls with great results, then we went back out and he did the rally pattern off leash! We even went out and played on the agility equipment a bit, and he went over the A frame all on his own!

Gah! I'm sorry for the novel, but I am so far beyond excited to have my sweet boy feeling better and acting like his old self again! I feel almost euphoric over this!!!!!!
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

That's amazing Suzanne - congrats to you and Ferg both!!! 😃👌😃
    It's crazy how the physical effects the mental, and vice-versa. I hope the trend continues - and by the way, we will be taking Zoom to Texas and dropping him off with you for some extra training - you're fine with that, right??? 😜😂😜
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

While your at it, you wanna take Nala too. I'm sure she'd keep Eisen busy .
      That's awesome for Ferg, it's great to see he's less stressed and feeling better. Hopefully you can get out and do some matches with him again soon?
      ~Kelsey, mom to~
      Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
      Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
      Cece- Calico 4 years
      Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

The absolute soonest match I can get to is in March. I'm sad. This morning he even voluntarily stood outside and faced down the trash truck!!! It has previously scared him bad enough he broke the fence trying to get away from it.

Poor misunderstood Nala. Shark's brother did a herding assessment yesterday and his mom said he was So tired afterwards. I am so jealous because we don't have anything like that. I think it's time for Shark to start learning agility.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
          The absolute soonest match I can get to is in March. I'm sad. This morning he even voluntarily stood outside and faced down the trash truck!!! It has previously scared him bad enough he broke the fence trying to get away from it.

Poor misunderstood Nala. Shark's brother did a herding assessment yesterday and his mom said he was So tired afterwards. I am so jealous because we don't have anything like that. I think it's time for Shark to start learning agility.
          Lol, she's actually starting to slow down a little bit now. She doesn't get into as much mischief as before. I just can't wait till spring, the cold weather has been keeping us stuck inside. Last night was the first night in a week I've been able to take them out. Needless to say, they were both a little wound up lol.

That's a bummer, I guess that leaves more time to work on some more routines though. Way to go Ferg, chasing the big bad garbage truck away . I wanted to do agility with Kumah, and we worked on it some, but she didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I wanted her too so I quite. I bet Eisen would have an easy time with it. He could probably step over the jumps .
          ~Kelsey, mom to~
          Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
          Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
          Cece- Calico 4 years
          Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
          Tyke- 4 months

Comment

I take a thyroid pill. Incorrect thyroid levels can REALLY mess a person and a dog up--trust me, I know! Before I had mine checked, I seriously felt like a cold lump of dough sitting in the very back of the fridge.

I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm always urging everyone to get their levels checked out if they have any weird cold lethargic emotional lumpy dough symptoms.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
              That's amazing Suzanne - congrats to you and Ferg both!!! 😃👌😃
              It's crazy how the physical effects the mental, and vice-versa. I hope the trend continues - and by the way, we will be taking Zoom to Texas and dropping him off with you for some extra training - you're fine with that, right??? 😜😂😜
              Sure, bring him on lol. Shark could use a playmate. Ferg won't share the jolly ball.

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
              I take a thyroid pill. Incorrect thyroid levels can REALLY mess a person and a dog up--trust me, I know! Before I had mine checked, I seriously felt like a cold lump of dough sitting in the very back of the fridge.

I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm always urging everyone to get their levels checked out if they have any weird cold lethargic emotional lumpy dough symptoms.
              Yes! I had bloodwork done this week. They took 8 freaking vials, but my doc is checking 78,000 different things- haha every hormone you can think of was checked on that lab order!
              sigpic
              Fergus
              Eisen Shark

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND I just got done talking to our local agility trainer (recommended by my competition OB trainer of nearly 4 years) and Ferg now has his first agility lesson set up! He was having SO much fun on the A frame and jumps last night, so I really hope he takes to agility. My luck he'll be fabulous at it...and then I'll have to start running lol.
                sigpic
                Fergus
                Eisen Shark

Comment

I think this is some of the best news I've heard in a long time!!

Go Ferg! I know how much a bum thyroid can change a dog and the changes you see once their levels are back to normal is phenomenal. Keep it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

That is great news!

I also love the description of the thyroid issue someone gave! That is a great way to put it! I am also medicated for low thyroid and it is something that can really screw you up for sure. Our LabX was on meds for years too, we also "found" our boy again!

Good luck with the agility training that is so wonderful!
                    sigpic
                    Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
                    Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
                    In Memory of our beloved Jake
                    forever in our hearts

Comment

Working...
                    X