Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rally O, CGC...where to begin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rally O, CGC...where to begin?

    I'm in the Columbus vicinity (NW of the city) and would love to do Rally-O with Gronk, as well as get his CGC and eventually train for therapy.

    What age can and should we begin? Any clubs in the area recommended?

    We currently are enrolled in puppy classes that for 8-14 weeks is socialization and some very basic training. Then there is puppy 2 and puppy 3 which increases command learning. This will take him to 28 weeks. Is this a good order or should I start him on something different earlier?

    Thanks!!
    ~Lauren~
    Proud momma to Gronk, a gorgeous Blue DOB 9/18/15

  • #2
    I think that sounds like a good plan. Eisen did 7 weeks of puppy class, then a CGC prep class, which was the most basic class my trainer had available at the time. It just basically covered the test items on the CGC and how to not be a heathen in public. At the end of that class I didn't feel he was ready, so we went through the test in training mode, and took another 4 week class with her. He passed with ease at that point. I think the biggest thing to remember when testing for CGC or getting ready for the ring is to make certain your dog is ready for it, as in mature enough, prepared enough, etc to handle it, or it will end up just stressing you out. As for rally, if you practice heel, sit, and down in about 4,000,000 different ways, that is rally in a nut shell. I want to do that with Eisen eventually, but I think it is going to have to wait awhile, as will therapy work, until he matures a bit more. He does much better in a formal obedience setting, and that is something you might consider trying first with your boy since he is a bit high strung.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
      I think that sounds like a good plan. Eisen did 7 weeks of puppy class, then a CGC prep class, which was the most basic class my trainer had available at the time. It just basically covered the test items on the CGC and how to not be a heathen in public. At the end of that class I didn't feel he was ready, so we went through the test in training mode, and took another 4 week class with her. He passed with ease at that point. I think the biggest thing to remember when testing for CGC or getting ready for the ring is to make certain your dog is ready for it, as in mature enough, prepared enough, etc to handle it, or it will end up just stressing you out. As for rally, if you practice heel, sit, and down in about 4,000,000 different ways, that is rally in a nut shell. I want to do that with Eisen eventually, but I think it is going to have to wait awhile, as will therapy work, until he matures a bit more. He does much better in a formal obedience setting, and that is something you might consider trying first with your boy since he is a bit high strung.

      Thank you. Def want my CGC. So you're saying stick with obedience classes (which I totally get) and I laughed at the rally and 4 million reps lol. Is there any certs for obedience? Is agility too much for Danes? I'm trying to find really good fun classes for us for his energy but also to prepare him for being a good canine in public and to do therapy. I assume by maturity we are talking 18-24 months??
      ~Lauren~
      Proud momma to Gronk, a gorgeous Blue DOB 9/18/15

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gronk View Post
        Thank you. Def want my CGC. So you're saying stick with obedience classes (which I totally get) and I laughed at the rally and 4 million reps lol. Is there any certs for obedience? Is agility too much for Danes? I'm trying to find really good fun classes for us for his energy but also to prepare him for being a good canine in public and to do ther. apy. I assume by maturity we are talking 18-24 months??
        Definitely stick with obedience classes. It will carry over to pretty well anything you would want to do with him. Rally is basically 43,000 different ways to heel with your dog. Eisen tends to lose focus when having to do so many things, and I know of other dogs who stress over being asked to repeat things so much. OB is more straightforward, but is stricter. For rally you can talk to your dog as much as you want, but not in OB.

        You can do agility with a Dane! Eisen has an auntie that just recently became the first ever Dane to achieve Mach3! I have just recently (like last weekend) started Eisen on jumps, and I've kept them low. You can introduce him to things like a dog walk, jumps, etc, just keep them on the ground for now. As he gets older you can raise things. I think the rule for jumping giant puppies is that the jumps need to be lower than the elbows, but don't quote me on that.

        As for maturity, that just depends on your individual dog. Fergus was much more calm and settled at 18 months than I suspect Eisen will be. His whole litter just seems very slow to mature, so we'll just wait and see. He is 13 months right now and just got his CGC last weekend. I am thinking we will look at TDI certification closer to three years old, if at all. He just doesn't really seem all that interested in meeting new people. He's so silly.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm curious to see what order works best too. My end goal with Peach is agility. She has so much energy and springs f legs! I figured obedience-->rally-->agility. We're on our second intermediate obedience right now.
          sigpic

          Peach, merle Great Dane
          Born July 7 2014
          Peach & Emily!

          Comment


          • #6
            A good puppy class is a great beginning. I would recommend doing the class with someone that does the AKC STAR puppy program if at all possible. From there get into a good obedience class with a good trainer and work towards your CGC. You do NOT have to have a special CGC class.. CGC is based on proper manners and a good obedience class will teach that (then you just need to find a CGC test near you). In addition to classes it is up to the owner to take the dog/pup to all different social places and work on being obedient in all kinds of distracting situations and train at home as well. Once you have the CGC I would suggest training towards your CGCA. Go to a few shows and watch the obedience and rally trials find a trainer that can help train you towards the goal of competing.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

            Comment


            • #7
              I haven't had time to respond to your message yet, but I have a few good local class recommendations.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree with all of the above! You're already on the right track being enrolled in a puppy class. I started Zia, now 5 1/2 years old, with puppy class and continued with the next classes (basic novice, advanced novice, competition prep, drills) all for obedience and rally. This was my first experience being competitive with a dog. I started with Rally because there's less pressure since you can talk to your dog and make gestures. I needed this to get my feet wet. We finally entered the competition ring when Zia was 2. She got her rally title and her CGC title in the same weekend. Unfortunately, I stopped formal training when I went back to school for my masters degree. We tried to get back into it, but she didn't seem to be too thrilled being back in the environment.

                Here are my thoughts based off of my short competition experience:
                If you're wanting to get serious in competition -
                - Find a good training club, join and start making friends
                - Start learning as much as you can (during class, reading books, watching videos, etc)
                - Continue group training classes!!
                - Start attending dog competitions and familiarize yourself with it all (environment, rules and protocols, etc.)
                - Volunteer to help out at a show. They are usually in serious need of helpers. (Being a figure 8 post, to changing jump heights, to managing leashes, etc.)
                - Take your pup to the agility, obedience, rally shows and make him feel like they are theee BEST place to be. Start slow if he's nervous. Then work your way up to having him be crated while you are at the show. (Confirmation shows are not as flexible with having non-competitors attend.)
                - Find out the criteria for CGC and start practicing towards that. SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE. Take your pup out and about often.
                - Look for Fun Matches you can attend, help out at and sign up for. Fun Matches are practice competitions and are an excellent way to get your feet wet.
                - Also take into consideration the cost of it all. Just something to consider. It all adds up.

                As far as the order goes, I started with Rally because I personally needed that for my Nervous-Nelly nature. However, in retrospect, I think relying on my voice cues and gestures was hard to break when attempting obedience. I did a few Obedience Fun Matches with Zia and it was challenging. Agility requires so much foundational work,that having a obedience background is a must, but there are still plenty of handling skills you can work on with a growing dane.

                Good luck with your pup! You will enjoy your work together!

                ETA: Check out http://www.infodog.com/
                That site will allow you to search for shows near your area.
                Last edited by NMDane; 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM. Reason: Added website link
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  WOW. A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone! Such great suggestions and ideas and makes me feel good and that we are on the right track. I definitely want to continue down the CGC path and the obedience path. I would love to get his CGC, CGCA, CDX, and OTCH.

                  But baby steps...I have him enrolled in a training class through a group called Posidog. www.posidog.org They seemed like they have great options. But I don't think they are an AKC certified facility and I think that makes a difference when it comes to competition...??

                  My biggest issue right now is getting him to look at me, which would be a foundation we would need lol. I mean he gives me lovey gazes. But in general on walks he doesn't look at me. Only when I am training and have major treats. But if he doesn't see the treat then he is looking everywhere else lol.
                  ~Lauren~
                  Proud momma to Gronk, a gorgeous Blue DOB 9/18/15

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gronk View Post
                    WOW. A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone! Such great suggestions and ideas and makes me feel good and that we are on the right track. I definitely want to continue down the CGC path and the obedience path. I would love to get his CGC, CGCA, CDX, and OTCH.

                    But baby steps...I have him enrolled in a training class through a group called Posidog. www.posidog.org They seemed like they have great options. But I don't think they are an AKC certified facility and I think that makes a difference when it comes to competition...??

                    My biggest issue right now is getting him to look at me, which would be a foundation we would need lol. I mean he gives me lovey gazes. But in general on walks he doesn't look at me. Only when I am training and have major treats. But if he doesn't see the treat then he is looking everywhere else lol.
                    Hahaha Fergus will STILL not look at me on walks. His "watch" command is great when he's in front of me, but it's awful no matter what I do when he's in heel. Eisen is not much better, but he is slowly learning, so just be patient and practice lots!
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X