1st leg!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st leg!

So proud of my boy! He got his 1st leg towards Rally Novice yesterday!

It was our very first event and I was super nervous.

We came in 4th place...and would have been 1st if it hadn't been for a beginner mistake made by his handler (that would be me!!)

the 3rd station was a "sit - down - stay, walk around the dog". He did awesome, but when I got back to the heel position, I didn't realize I needed to stop and pause before moving on to the next station. Got 10 points knocked off for that one!

just signed up for 2 more shows in March...cross your fingers that we get our qualifying legs and he might just get his title by the end of the month!
    sigpic
    Debbie & Murphy

Yeah hurray and congratulations!!!!!!
    sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

congratulations!!!
      sigpic
      Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

WOOO HOOOO great job!!!
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

AWESOME!! Great job and congrats!!!!!
          Mary
          Eve, sweet couch potato DA GD, 2009-
          Louie, rescue cat, 2011-
          Jazz, sweet, loving GD, 2008-2010
          Max, BYB GD, 2000-2007
          Gabby, rescue Lab, 1998-2008
          Dusty, rescue sheltie mix, 1980-1992

Comment

one more thing I thought was funny

after we were done we walked up to the judge to get an idea of what we got points knocked off for so I would know what to work on.

He took one look at us and said "well, your first problem is he's a Great Dane". He was joking though, and told us we did a really good job for our first time out. I laughed and told him I was impressed that he knew his breeds!
            sigpic
            Debbie & Murphy

Comment

I'm glad you did so wonderful and had a good time Rally is so much fun one question though did you find the course to be a bit "crunchy" for a dog as big as a Dane? This has been a problem I've found when doing rally with my Danes.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA

Comment

Congratulations!! Best of luck on the next two!
                Bev
                Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                  I'm glad you did so wonderful and had a good time Rally is so much fun one question though did you find the course to be a bit "crunchy" for a dog as big as a Dane? This has been a problem I've found when doing rally with my Danes.
                  I tell the judge when I can't fit or think it's too tight. I've had multiple signs rearranged with a "oh! no problem!" Also, we practice in a smaller then ring size places so we are used to cramming things in!

But congrats on getting your first leg! What I've been told with the exercises that are stationary (like the sit/down walk around) is to either say out loud or to yourself "Good boy!" and then move on.

Comment

Originally posted by SirMuttleyCooper View Post
                    Also, we practice in a smaller then ring size places so we are used to cramming things in
                    We practice in all sizes and many different places too so it isn't a problem for my Danes to scrunch.
                    One would think though that since dogs larger then Labs do compete they would make allowances with out any one having to tell them or having their Danes scrunch.. I think our Danes should get extra points for having to scrunch and not knock down a sign and perform the task so beautifully in spite of size
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                      the course we had on Sunday seemed super spacious compared to the practice rings our obedience club always sets up. Plus, our practice rings are never numbered so I always have to try and remember the order...it was so nice to have them numbered in the actual competition!

I posted a scanned picture of the course on his blog if you want to check it out.

http://dogcatgirl.blogspot.com/
                      sigpic
                      Debbie & Murphy

Comment

congratulations!!
                        Meg
                        AeroDanes

Comment

Congrats and good luck on your next match. It's hard not to be nervous, especially your first time!
                          sigpic

Comment

Congtats!!!!
                            Moxie and I are going to our first Match in mid-April. I am super nervous. I also think it will be a lot of fun though. Her brother (Leroy) will be there so that will help her nerves- hope I can control mine.

Comment

sorry to just now be seeing this, congrats!! At least now you know what to do for the next time, then you will have that 1st ribbon!!

I wanted to do rally with Dex, but then we moved to MO and I never got back into it. Maybe I should start this up again!!
                              sigpic
                              Crystal
                              Owned by:
                              Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                              CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                              Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                              Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Working...
                              X