HELP!! Need more motivation in Rally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Need more motivation in Rally

I hope someone see's this. I see most of the 'dates' on these conversations are years old! I do Rally with my 1 yr old boy. He knows how to do all the signs, but he has ZERO motivation!! I feel like he hates it and just drags along and quickly lags behind :-( We've been training since he was about 4/5 months old. At first he'd trot along next to me, but no more! The only thing that gets his attention is a squeaky toy, but we are entered in our first trial next month and I obviously can't take that in the ring with me. Has anyone else had a non motivated Dane that they successfully worked with? It does get very frustrating at times. I have a closer bond with this boy than any other that I've had, I hate to think that he just hates it... I do at least want to put a RN title on him for all our hard work!! Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

How often do you train? Do you make training fun and interesting? Do you train in different places? Do you vary the training? Yes a non motivated Dane can earn their rally title...
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Formally, 1 x week. Daily at home; short 5-10 mins a couple times a day. Yes - we train in different places, alone and with a few other dogs. We are also on a drill team, which he does great on. I've recently added a squeaky toy which actually gets him up! I'll train for a few minutes and then squeak and throw the toy! He gets to play with it just for a minute, then we move on and he'll get to play with it again. He's a tough one for sure. It's probably more me, but I try to stay up beat and fun, but it can get discouraging. I stop when I feel then creeping in, and always end on a good note! He can be spot on one time, then the next act like we've never done anything...such a Dane!! We are actually entered in our first trial next month. If I can get him to that first sign I'm confident we'll do fine, but I have to say I'm NOT confident that I can get attention from him when we first enter the ring!! I just feel like he is bored out of his mind...LOL. Just for the record, I am not new to Danes. Oh and he is an intact 15 month old.

Comment

Working...
      X