Body Condition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Condition

Today on our walk we bumped into a dog friend of ours who hasn't seen Peach in quite a while, and she exclaimed "wow, she's really turned into a little porker eh!" And proceeded to grab some of Peach's skin over her rib cage and cluck at me Now, I'm pretty darn sure that Peach is a fit little thing, but I feel compelled to ask-- does her body condition look okay? For so long we had to fight to keep weight on her, I want to make sure we're not going too far in the other direction!

Seriously though, poor Peach. She's gonna need therapy after that comment!

sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

She looks just fine to me. She's got that nice tuck up and she has a defined waist, looks like she's in good shape.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Looks pretty good from the side. Do you have a top view?
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
        Looks pretty good from the side. Do you have a top view?
        I don't... might have to try to take one from on a chair.
        sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
        Born July 7 2014
        Peach & Emily!

Comment

Originally posted by emeko View Post
          Today on our walk we bumped into a dog friend of ours who hasn't seen Peach in quite a while, and she exclaimed "wow, she's really turned into a little porker eh!" And proceeded to grab some of Peach's skin over her rib cage and cluck at me Now, I'm pretty darn sure that Peach is a fit little thing, but I feel compelled to ask-- does her body condition look okay? For so long we had to fight to keep weight on her, I want to make sure we're not going too far in the other direction!

Seriously though, poor Peach. She's gonna need therapy after that comment!

Some on this site like to see a couple ribs, but she looks fine to me.

Comment

I think she looks healthy.

There's this whole 'fit dog' thing going on that I think is great, because there are a lot of obese dogs, but people are pushing it too far. I personally don't want to see three defined ribs on an adult dog. On a growing puppy or adolescent, yes. Full grown adult? A nice tuck and good waist look the most pleasing to my eye.
            sigpic

Comment

She doesn't look like a tater tot on legs, so I'd say she's good! I believe she is old enough to be past the gawky adolescent phase, so no reason to be seeing rib. Ferg lost those visible ribs at about the 2 year mark.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Thanks guys, I feel better now lol. I was just so taken aback by the comment, and the skin pinch. She's definitely got some loose skin you can grab, but I think it's just a dane thing. I like the little bit filled out look too, plus we have some wiggle room if she gets sick. I find her condition can go back to really ribby in just a day or two of not feeling well.

Glad she's not a walking tater tot
                sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
                Born July 7 2014
                Peach & Emily!

Comment

I can literally grab two huge handfuls of skin anywhere on Mouse's neck and stretch it out like silly putty. It's a dane thing.

She looks just fine for an adult female dane, right where she is. Coming into more maturity and colder weather, though, be careful she doesn't pork up. Measure her at her smallest part of the tuck and write it down. That way, you can quickly know without weighing her if she's gaining weight.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                    I can literally grab two huge handfuls of skin anywhere on Mouse's neck and stretch it out like silly putty. It's a dane thing.

She looks just fine for an adult female dane, right where she is. Coming into more maturity and colder weather, though, be careful she doesn't pork up. Measure her at her smallest part of the tuck and write it down. That way, you can quickly know without weighing her if she's gaining weight.
                    That is actually a great idea. I will do that! Thanks! Winter is always tough. She's pretty wimpy about cold, but we are crossing our paws our trainer will have a new indoor agility facility set up by then for us to work in all winter... hopefully!
                    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
                    Born July 7 2014
                    Peach & Emily!

Comment

If she was my dog, I would shed a few pounds of her. While she looks okay in this stacked photo, she shows no hint of ribs or more tuck in full sprint, jump and play in her other thread. Thats tells me she has some fatpadding under her skin

Comment

Originally posted by Zugo View Post
                        If she was my dog, I would shed a few pounds of her. While she looks okay in this stacked photo, she shows no hint of ribs or more tuck in full sprint, jump and play in her other thread. Thats tells me she has some fatpadding under her skin
                        But you should always judge body condition in stacked photos and never when a dog is moving oddly, running or laying down
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
                          But you should always judge body condition in stacked photos and never when a dog is moving oddly, running or laying down
                          And wouldn't the tuck be less pronounced on a dog going full tilt? Most of those pictures are of her fully extended and zooming like a little psycho LOL. She's so stretched out it makes her tuck look like it's barely there... because her whole outline is elongated, no?
                          sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
                          Born July 7 2014
                          Peach & Emily!

Comment

Originally posted by emeko View Post
                            And wouldn't the tuck be less pronounced on a dog going full tilt? Most of those pictures are of her fully extended and zooming like a little psycho LOL. She's so stretched out it makes her tuck look like it's barely there... because her whole outline is elongated, no?
                            It really depends on how you catch them, both what stride and how they happen to be breathing at that moment.

So yeah, like I said, judging body condition off of motion photos leads to *really* inaccurate statements about the actual condition of the dog.

She looks great
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X