Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dane puppy eye color, help?

Hello!
    I recently put a hold on a Dane puppy, his name is Zeus he's a beautiful harlequin and I picked him out when he was just two weeks old. My breeder is a couple hours from me so recently I haven't been able to make it down but she's sent me pictures. Now my Dane had blue eyes when he was around 4 weeks old. But last week when she sent me pics one seems to be awfully dark compared to the other. Are his eyes changing to brown at a different rates? Or are they going to be different colors? should I be worried? This is my first Dane puppy so the nerves are on haha. I attached a photo
    P.S. He's 7weeks old
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brkesar1; 08-14-2016, 05:23 PM.

I would worry less about eye color and more about buying from a reputable breeder who shows to champion and health tests. You can check the litter box and read the ABCs of buying a purebred Great Dane from a reputable breeder. You said you picked out the puppy, but usually reputable breeders will pick out the puppy that is best for you and your life-style.

As far as I know, eye color can't change at different rates, but I'm not an expert on that.
    Last edited by 21softballstar; 08-14-2016, 07:46 PM.
    sigpic
    Willow and Liv

Comment

Looks like he'll have two different colored eyes. They don't change at different rates. But I'd definitely read the links on the left hand side about buying a pure bred puppy and make sure your purchasing from a reputable breeder.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Thank you both for the quick answers!! Will definitely check out that link

Comment

Don't worry about the eyes. Worry that those puppies are being raised outside (?) in mud and straw. That's an obvious red flag. I know you already love your puppy, and will probably get upset I'm being critical, but forewarned is better than sorry.

READ THIS LINK people have referred to: http://www.danemist.com/ABCs/buyingapurebredpuppy.html
          Tracy
          sigpic
          Mouse April 2010
          Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Not unusual for harlequins to have 2 different color eyes, however my concern mirrors what the others have said... the responsibility of the breeder.. breeder code of ethics, OFA/PennHip on hips, OFA heart, thyroid & eyes, breed to standard
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks for all the concern but this is a reputable breeder. I have seen all health records on parents and they are on scene. Puppy's will have full work up done before sent home. That is there "outdoor enclosure" for them to hangout and run around. The straw is for easy clean up because they are pooping machines at this age. Thanks for the response on the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brkesar1 View Post
                Thanks for all the concern but this is a reputable breeder. I have seen all health records on parents and they are on scene. Puppy's will have full work up done before sent home. That is there "outdoor enclosure" for them to hangout and run around. The straw is for easy clean up because they are pooping machines at this age. Thanks for the response on the eyes.
                Health records aren't just simple vet exams but rather OFA tests done on hips, heart, thyroid & eyes (Pennhip can be done on hips instead of OFA) Also puppies don't get "work ups" they get a vet exam, deworming and their first vaccine. Also make sure not to get your puppy before 8 -9 weeks of age.
                Just a quick note.. most responsible breeders don't own both parents (some do but not many) since they carefully research pedigrees, conformation, etc and pick a mate that will compliment each other and add something positive back to the breed.
                We aren't trying to be discouraging or dampen your excitement but far too many of us have seen or experienced first hand the result of pups bought from less then responsible breeders.. health issues, temperament issues.. we hate to see anyone go through it or experience heartbreak.
                Last edited by kahluadanes; 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Was just going to say, most breeders that are reputable do not have both parents on site. AND non that I know of let you pick a harl at 2 weeks of age, as they need to look at conformation FIRST...

SO HUGE red flag there....
                  Now as to your question, it is common for Harls to have eyes that are not the same color, they can have Blue eyes, Brown eyes, one of each or even eyes that are blue AND brown... I does not affect their vision and it is NOTHING to be concerned about... If I were you I would have other concerns...

OFA health testing for one... ask to see the certificates, prior to being bred they should be tested for the following:

Heart
                  Thyroid
                  Hips

Some also do eyes which is required for a CHIC number,
                  These issues should be a concern. Also Temperment, after all this is a dog that will be HUGE...

Off my soap box...
                  sigpic

Comment

They can have two different colored eyes. Are big boy does and is happy and healthy. Hopefully all the posters didn't didn't freak you out with all the breeder talk.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jlp71 View Post
                      They can have two different colored eyes. Are big boy does and is happy and healthy. Hopefully all the posters didn't didn't freak you out with all the breeder talk.
                      Indeed. Hopefully they didn't freak out, read the appropriate links and decided to go with a reputable breeder instead, after much calm consideration.
                      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                      X