elevated bedding inside crate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elevated bedding inside crate

So jedi has outgrown our free XL crate. I had thought by now he would be more comfortable on our couch in our bedroom as long as he wouldn't get in bed with us. Problem is he really is just a huge puppy and doesn't have the training yet to just stay unleashed in the house.

He does love his crate though but its to small. Getting the Midwest XXL. Next question though is padding. What do you guys do for the bottom of the crates. I will be setting it on carpet in our upstairs bedroom. His crate sits next to our bed where he sleeps. The kuranda beds are expensive and it doesn't even look like it will fit as there XL is 50x36 and the Midwest is 54x35.

Suggestions on what to put in the crate that will help elevate stress on joints?

3" foam bed topper twin size cut down

My Great Danes exceeded normal bedding limit from the get go! We did have to start in metal crates for poddy training, but now they have their own bedrooms, (kids moved out, precious kids moved in!). I found these at Walmart, what I do is order the full size then cut them in two for both Danes....this time I ordered the Twin size foam topper and bought twin size fitted sheets, works great for Great Dane bones! And is not to high for their heads to float off! I have two in my dining room, one for each girl and one in the living room. OUr house is only 1,500sft so it is doable!

Originally posted by chemist View Post
    So jedi has outgrown our free XL crate. I had thought by now he would be more comfortable on our couch in our bedroom as long as he wouldn't get in bed with us. Problem is he really is just a huge puppy and doesn't have the training yet to just stay unleashed in the house.

He does love his crate though but its to small. Getting the Midwest XXL. Next question though is padding. What do you guys do for the bottom of the crates. I will be setting it on carpet in our upstairs bedroom. His crate sits next to our bed where he sleeps. The kuranda beds are expensive and it doesn't even look like it will fit as there XL is 50x36 and the Midwest is 54x35.

Suggestions on what to put in the crate that will help elevate stress on joints?
    sigpic

Comment

My girl, even at 2 years old, is still The Destroyer of Beds. I get her those cushy memory foam cushions and her favourite thing is to rip them open and tear them apart so I come down to a bed explosion in her crate in the morning. I ended up getting a big load of fleecy blankets and just put them in there. It gives her something a little softer to lie on, and she likes to be able to shuffle them around into a little nest just so.
      sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
      Born July 7 2014
      Peach & Emily!

Comment

I've always just used fleece blankets too. It's comfortable enough and it's not a huge mess when they decide to rip it up.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
        Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

We used a foam hospital bed we had. I cut it down to the floor of the crate and covered it with fabric. Left an end open so i could take it off and wash it. We have only had our pup for 4 months (6month old) and but hasn't chewed it up yet. He does dig at it, but it hasn't hurt it. It came with a thick vinyl zippered shell. We didn't end up using it, but you definitly could. It is pretty thick at about 6 inches so it definitely will take up some head room as he grows, so we may have to adjust. BUT he is only in it at bed time, so he's never standing except to go in and out. We already had the bed, but you could probably get one cheap on craigslist or something. Hope this helps, or maybe gives you another idea
          King 01-21-16

Comment

I have to admit we did go through about 3 beds, but they did decide the hardwood floor was worse! ;p
            Twin 3" foam topper was $30, just buying the fitted twin sheet $4.99, the average cost of regular sized regular sized dog! no pun intended. When my girls went in to their first heat they cleaned up nicely! And when my Pompom decides that his 13 year old body won't make it outside for number one, and their beds are softer on his tushy, it does just sit on top of the foam eggs shell dips, nice clean up there too.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emeko View Post
              My girl, even at 2 years old, is still The Destroyer of Beds. I get her those cushy memory foam cushions and her favourite thing is to rip them open and tear them apart so I come down to a bed explosion in her crate in the morning. I ended up getting a big load of fleecy blankets and just put them in there. It gives her something a little softer to lie on, and she likes to be able to shuffle them around into a little nest just so.
              Although Kronk has not destroyed a bed, this is what we do in his crate. Saves us from listening to him trying to shift a bed around trying to make a nest all night!

Comment

Thanks everybody! Ordered the midwest XXL so now for the bedding.

We already use a bunch of blankets and I will probably continue to do that.I may try the foam though as I think that would be more padding for him. He has a little bit thinner skin at the "elbows of the legs" so I may switch to foam.

Comment

Originally posted by chemist View Post
                  Thanks everybody! Ordered the midwest XXL so now for the bedding.

We already use a bunch of blankets and I will probably continue to do that.I may try the foam though as I think that would be more padding for him. He has a little bit thinner skin at the "elbows of the legs" so I may switch to foam.
                  We thought that Rhet was ready for a foam mat at 11 months old..... Came home to confetti after about a week of use. Oy...... Back to blankets and towels we went!

Comment

We have the XXL and use a covered foam bed we found on Amazon. We still have a couple fleece blankets on top of the matress as well. Luckily, Moose has never really chewed his bedding but he's in his room for only a few hours here and there and to sleep at night.
                    Attached Files

Sara-- Moose's Mom

Comment

I had Primo Pads for both my crates and love them. They're just enough padding and easy to clean. You can get one with the lock down system if you have a chewer.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey
                      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                      X