Mantle vs Merle Mantle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantle vs Merle Mantle?

So the breeder I'm talking to has two puppies (two weeks old) that are females and have no deposit placed on them yet. One is a mantle and one is a Merle mantle. Since they're so young we obviously know nothing about their temperament yet so it's picking solely based on looks.

1) What has your experience been with picking solely based on looks?

2) Would you pick the mantle or the Merle mantle?

My personal experience on picking based solely on looks is that it was a super crappy breeder, who didn't show or health test and only wanted money in her pocket so didn't give a crap which puppy I took as long as I had the cash.
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Good breeders wait until the puppies are older, evaluate the puppies for conformation and temperment and then pair families with the right dog based on lifestyle and the puppy that would do best in that home.

We got our puppy at 12 weeks old. It was a small litter and the breeders didn't even start looking for homes until 8 weeks old.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
        My personal experience on picking based solely on looks is that it was a super crappy breeder, who didn't show or health test and only wanted money in her pocket so didn't give a crap which puppy I took as long as I had the cash.
        Some of that is true but not all of it. This breeder is definitely a hobby breeder. They typically have one litter a year. I personally know two families that has gotten Danes from this breeder. I will look into the health clearances.

I would prefer to be matched based on temperament. We may have to wait a year to find a breeder that will do so in our desired take home time frame.

Comment

It's fine to have a color preference, but keep in mind that it's only a paint job. It is so much more important to find a dog from a reputable breeder with a temperament that matches what you are looking for. Many reputable breeders will either tell you what puppy you get or will recommend a few that are what you're looking for, so you really may not get to choose. If you haven't already, take a look at the ABCs to buying a purebred puppy links to the left to make sure this is a reputable breeder first. If it is, then you'll have to wait and see how they mature. If you are set on a certain color, then be prepared to possibly wait for what you want. I never really wanted a harlequin, but now I have Asaah, not because she was the color I wanted, but because she is a really good fit for me.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Jsfali View Post
            Some of that is true but not all of it. This breeder is definitely a hobby breeder. They typically have one litter a year. I personally know two families that has gotten Danes from this breeder. I will look into the health clearances.

I would prefer to be matched based on temperament. We may have to wait a year to find a breeder that will do so in our desired take home time frame.

I would definitely find a good breeder, and one that will match temperment. Think about it - you wouldn't want a timid puppy if you have small children or teenagers running in and out of the house...... nor would you want a high energy puppy if you lead more of a sedentary lifestyle. It's pretty reliable what type of personality you will end up with by watching the litter interact.

Comment

Even though you know people who have bought puppies from this breeder doesn't make them a responsible breeder. Most breeders are "hobby" breeders.. most do not breed as a business they breed for the love of the breed for the betterment of health, temperament and conformation as well as longevity of the breed. A responsible breeder will breed to the GDCA breeder code of ethics, will have all the health testing done ...OFA or PennHip on hips, OFA thyroid, heart & eyes ... on parents, will have carefully researched pedigrees, will breed to standard..will show or have their dogs evaluated irresponsible breeders will do none or only bits and pieces of the package.

As far as color goes unless you are going to be showing in the breed ring it doesn't make a difference, either will be a good companion.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA
              Member Central Maine Kennel Club
              High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

When breeders say they breed out of "hobby", what does that bring to mind for you? The definition of "hobby" is: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure. Breeding Danes leisurely and "for pleasure" in spare time does not make me think of a good breeder who wants to breed to better the breed. Hobby breeders breed for pleasure and money, whether they have 1 or more litters a year. I would not buy from this breeder.

And more often than most, hobby breeders do not health test.

Would you rather wait a year and search for a great breeder who shows and health tests and matches your Dane pup perfectly on temperament, and you get have this Dane for 10+ yrs, or get this Dane puppy now, from a "hobby" breeder, who hasn't shown or health tested (most likely) and you cross your fingers the rest of the time you have this dog, hoping and praying it doesn't fall ill due to genetic illnesses?

Choice is yours.
                sigpic
                Willow and Liv

Comment

I agree...wait for a good breeder. You will want a dog that matches your families lifestyle and temperament.

Just curious...what is your "take home timeframe?"
                  Jennie
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X