No announcement yet.

Growth spurts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just call Peach my pocket Dane. Like mentioned, they tend to live longer when they're on the smaller side, so that's all good with me. People ask me all the time why I decided to get a big dog. I'm just like, this is not a big dog. This is just the size a dog should be LOL
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Comment

Gracie is 17 months, 28 inches tall, and 85 pounds. So we're definitely in the pocket Danes club! She has grown maybe half an inch after a year of age and put on maybe 10 lbs since then. I don't think she's going to get much bigger!

She was a rescue so we have no idea what the parents looked like-- but I've heard (and have no idea if this is true) that size is often determined by a grandparent! Who knows. I know a couple who has a 2 year old female Dane who is right around 100 lbs, and they *say* that dad was 165 and mom was 140. So go figure!
      sigpic
      “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by GraciesMama View Post
        Gracie is 17 months, 28 inches tall, and 85 pounds. So we're definitely in the pocket Danes club! She has grown maybe half an inch after a year of age and put on maybe 10 lbs since then. I don't think she's going to get much bigger!

She was a rescue so we have no idea what the parents looked like-- but I've heard (and have no idea if this is true) that size is often determined by a grandparent! Who knows. I know a couple who has a 2 year old female Dane who is right around 100 lbs, and they *say* that dad was 165 and mom was 140. So go figure!
        Ya andross is maybe a little taller than mom. But she's near 140lba And his dad was a 38" 180lb dog. Then they produced my little andross lol.
        sigpic Little boy!

Comment

My male Spartacus stopped growing in height around 2 he is 36.5 inches and he was all tall and lanky at around 145lbs he looked really funny with a big head at 3 years old he started to fill out a lot now he looks portioned to his height and bone gained about 20lbs he is 4 years now.
          My female Isis just turned a year old and she is the same way tall and lanky with a big head he is about 33 inches but looks so tiny compared to my male until they stand side by side then im like o she is tall so I can not wait for her to fill out in the next year.

Btw with the male intact temperament it depends on the breeding, training, and the socialization they get my male goes to doggie daycare the beach and dog parks and does totally fine with everyone and everything.
          Brutus, Malachi, Spartacus and Isis
          Malachi (RIP 12-27-2006/11-12-2008)
          Brutus (RIP 01-06-2005/12-07-2014)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X