Blue fawn, blue brindle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue fawn, blue brindle?

I was online surfing at great dane info and came across a blue fawn and a blue brindle colored great dane. Now would these be a color someone is trying to breed or just something that happened within a litter one time?
    sigpic
    Sampson (Brindle Great Dane) 5/15/14

Hopefully they were not trying to breed it. You never know with BYB's. Both parents carried recessives for blue to make this happen. Unless one parent is a blue and the other carried the recessive for blue.

Comment

When I was looking at breeders, one I researched just bred brindle and fawns. Been breeding for 20 years and in those year she had a blue fawn one time. So one of the parents must've carried the recessive gene. She showed me a pic of it. It was really pretty and unique looking.
      sigpic
      Sampson (Brindle Great Dane) 5/15/14

Comment

Originally posted by Matt77 View Post
        When I was looking at breeders, one I researched just bred brindle and fawns. Been breeding for 20 years and in those year she had a blue fawn one time. So one of the parents must've carried the recessive gene. She showed me a pic of it. It was really pretty and unique looking.

Both parents have to have a blue recessive gene in order to produce a blue offspring. So likely the parents each carried the gene sight-unseen and they met up in the blue pup. It's one thing to get such accidents rarely. And another entirely to breed for mismarks intentionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

I am new to the colour genetics. So please forgive the novice question. I also saw a Blue Fawn sire or a Blue Brindle sire to choose from while surfing online. When I asked a friend about it I was told the Blue Fawn was actually categorized as a "Blue"; apparently it had come from a Blue on Blue pairing. The Blue Brindle had also come from a Blue on Blue pairing (completely different parents from the Fawn). Both Sires are being bred to Blue bitches and producing blue puppies. I asked how this would affect your line if you were breeding Blues and got a male from one of these litters. I was told it would not affect your line as long as your bitch was a Blue. Is this true? It seems like you would be setting yourself up for potential B-Fawn / Brindles in your own line as you have just added recessive genes into your line. Am I not understanding the genetics correctly?

Comment

Blue fawns and blue brindles are NOT accepted colors and should NOT be used in a breeding program.. using these off/mismarks in a breeding program is not the mark of a responsible breeder. Only irresponsible breeders use them in a breeding program or offer up for stud. Brindle & fawn should NEVER be in a blue program. (in addition breeding should never be done until both parents are at least 2 years old and have had and passed health testing not just simple vet exams but real health testing..Also extensive research should be done on pedigrees and they should both be of breed standard and have good temperaments)
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you. That is what I thought.

Comment

Working...
              X