No announcement yet.

How do Merle and merlequins come about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Merle and merlequins come about?

So I am Facebook friends with a Dane breeder page, a page where only responsible breeding can post. Now I know that Danes that are Merle or merlequins are NOT a product of bad breeding, but I am just curious why all the Danes I see lately are either Merle or merlequins when the parents are harlequin and mantle. Is this just a product of genetics? Well I suppose that is this stupid question, of course it is. I guess what I'm asking is if I want a full harlequin or full black or mantle what colors should I look for in the parents? Or does it matter, luck of the draw?

What I also find interesting is that usually Merle is American. I don't see many European. Unless the sample size I am looking at is just portraying that.

Thanks for any advice or opinions in advance!

Originally posted by Misslindsley View Post
    So I am Facebook friends with a Dane breeder page, a page where only responsible breeding can post. Now I know that Danes that are Merle or merlequins are NOT a product of bad breeding, but I am just curious why all the Danes I see lately are either Merle or merlequins when the parents are harlequin and mantle. Is this just a product of genetics? Well I suppose that is this stupid question, of course it is. I guess what I'm asking is if I want a full harlequin or full black or mantle what colors should I look for in the parents? Or does it matter, luck of the draw?

What I also find interesting is that usually Merle is American. I don't see many European. Unless the sample size I am looking at is just portraying that.

Thanks for any advice or opinions in advance!
    There is no correlation with American vs Euro when it comes to merle, that is solely your perception.

Merle will always exist in the harl family because you cannot get harlequin without it. A merle has 1 copy of the Merle gene and 0 copies of the Harl gene (Mmhh).

A harlequin has 1 copy of the Merle gene and 1 copy of the Harl gene (MmHh). Each time a harl reproduces it can either give an M (merle) or an m (no merle) and an H (harl) or an h (no harl). So harls will always have the ability to produce a merle, it is simply a matter of probabilities when those genes are being passed on.

A mantle and a black both have the genotype (mmhh), 0 merle genes and 0 harl genes. Blacks/mantles can carry the Harl gene sight unseen and be mmHh. It is sight unseen because the Harl gene cannot express in the absence of a Merle gene.The only difference between mantles/blacks is that mantles have white spotting genes (Irish and/or Piebald) and blacks do not.

A merlequin is something entirely different and CAN be avoided. Merlequins have 2 Merle genes and no Harl genes (MMhh). There is also Genetic Whites who also have 2 Merle genes and 1 Harl gene (MMHh). Both of these are avoidable by not breeding two merle-gene bearing parents together.
    Last edited by oceanbluedanes; 08-07-2014, 06:39 AM.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

wow i wasn't expecting such a thorough reply, so thank you!

but you have def answered my question, thanks again!

Comment

That was a awesome genetics post! But since this stuff is complicated, unless you wanna like draw the punnet squares and look through everyone's pedigree, just ask your breeder. Find a good one, see what they are planning to breed, ask what they expect in the litter, and then put a deposit for the sex and color you like. If they don't have what you wanted in the litter you get passed or you get a nice breeder like mine who let me change my pick.

(I wanted a black male, the parents were black and fawn, the litter was 3 fawn boys, 2 black girls, and color wasn't important enough for me to wait haha)
        sigpic

Comment

If you're interested in learning more about coat color genetics, you can join the Great Dane Coat Color Genetics Facebook group. The admin is JP Yousha, and she is a very knowledgable breeder. Also check out her Chromadane website, lots of good info there too. I'm a nerd and I LOVE learning about all that stuff. The harl family is so complicated and interesting!
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Misslindsley View Post
            I am just curious why all the Danes I see lately are either Merle or merlequins when the parents are harlequin and mantle. Is this just a product of genetics?
            Because the mantle is actually a harl. Merlikins are not possible with a true mantle to harl pairing.
            Last edited by thisiscyndi; 08-07-2014, 01:52 PM. Reason: correction
            "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
            sigpic
            Rocky & Emma
            Follow our adventures at
            www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Originally posted by thisiscyndi View Post
              Because the mantle is actually a harl. Merles and Merlikins are not possible with a true mantle to harl pairing.
              Of course merles comes in these breedings, as only one merlegene is needed and the harl will provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zugo View Post
                Of course merles comes in these breedings, as only one merlegene is needed and the harl will provide it.
                Yes, correction made. Meant Merlikin isnt possible because it would require MM.
                "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                sigpic
                Rocky & Emma
                Follow our adventures at
                www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Working...
                X