Needing help Id'ing new puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing help Id'ing new puppy

It can vary quite a bit. I have a photo of Athena somewhere at about 10 weeks missing her front two teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oceanbluedanes; 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM. Reason: found photo
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, well the baby teeth fall out sooner but the adult teeth erupt around 4 months. It does obviously vary with every dog as evidenced by your girl. I'm sure her adult teeth came in pretty soon after, although there really is no sign of them in the pic.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I checked a week later and there were very obvious buds. Didn't take long at all. But that was just the first two. The others came out/in over a couple months I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

I would put money on it that that is a cane corso (Italian mastiff) pit mix. We have a boy 1/2. Cane corso 1/2 American bulldog he is 4 months in the picture and was 80 lbs by 4.5 months...he topped out at 120

Comment

Originally posted by Emmathegreatdane View Post
            I would put money on it that that is a cane corso (Italian mastiff) pit mix. We have a boy 1/2. Cane corso 1/2 American bulldog he is 4 months in the picture and was 80 lbs by 4.5 months...he topped out at 120
            Ok, but their pup is only 23 lbs at 4 months so I'm thinking maybe not quite as big as a Cane (or even a mix of one) should be as evidenced by your own pup. I'm guessing Boxer/Lab or Boxer/Pit. Explains the size and the underbite.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

i was also thinking cane corso or pit! true, the size suggests a smaller breed, but if the pup is poorly bred out of poorly bred dogs, this could be the possibility. i'm currently hanging around with a male goldie that's about 40lbs, no joke. he's about the size of a large cocker spaniel. cane corsos are also rarer than pits, so the probability it's a cane corso mix is very small. but oceandanes has a really good point on underbites and boxers.

this might be a weird thing to do, and i don't know how friendly your local animal shelter is, but over here, they are the experts on "mixed" dogs since they have to id all of them that come in, so i'd see if they can help or just give a suggestion!

in any case, regardless of what mix he is, it is always good to understand the symptoms of bloat and torsion. also to read literature on kibble, and make an informed decision going forward.
              Last edited by michlhw; 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM.
              sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

Cute dog, I love the underbite! I don't see dane whatsoever, nor do I see boston whatsoever. I could see boxer. Don't think the body or head is right for a pit or corso mix. But she could be mixed with 10 different things so who knows. If she is 16" at the shoulder now and approx 4 mo, she could still be a decent sized dog, depending on how she matures. I'm guessing she probably won't hit 100 lbs tho. Maybe b/t 70-80.

Going by the photo, she looks older than 4 mo to me, altho if she's underweight, that could be why her body looks more mature and not "puppyish". I'd love to see some more photos, with something for size reference.
                sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Working...
                X