Needing help Id'ing new puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing help Id'ing new puppy

Like the title says I need help Id'ing a new family member. I can't get in to see my vet until next week.

Back story my dad received this dog from a family member. He was told that the dog is part great dane and is only 9 weeks old. Now here comes the fun part. My oh so "Lovely" neighbor has tried to inform me that the new dog is a 5-7 months old boston terrier with mostly full grown teeth on top and that she is no way a great dane at all because she has a undershot. He has also informed us she will not get much bigger than what she is now.

The dog in question is female
    She weighs 23 pounds (underweight her ribs are kinda visible)
    From shoulder down she is 16in
    And she does have a really bad undershot

I am attaching pics sorry they are blurry kind hard to get a picture of a wiggling puppy.
    Attached Files

The teeth look like a pup's to me. It does look like a great dane pup. Undershot is where the bottom teeth over lap the top teeth. This fact doesn't mean it isn't a great dane. It's a fault according to the standard making it pet quality. The markings look dane.

Comment

Those are definitely puppy teeth.. Looks like a dane of sorts, we get a lot of pit/dane mixes here and she sort of resembles them. Either way she's cute!

Comment

Thank you for your response. When you say a pup do you mean 9 weeks, younger than 9 weeks or older than 9 weeks. My "friendly" neighbor says 5 months. She is going to be spaded and she is a member of the family will the under bite cause her any problems down the road.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Those a puppy teeth from what I can tell.... less than 5 months.

There is some Dane but I see a possible pit in there as well...
          DEFINETLY not a Boston...
          sigpic
          Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
          Titan - GD
          Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
          Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
          Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I don't think it's 5 months old, but I think it's older than 9 weeks.

Could totally be a Dane mix, perhaps mixed with boxer? That is a breed that tends to see a lot of under-bites. Or a pit mix (might be more likely).
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
              I don't think it's 5 months old, but I think it's older than 9 weeks.

Could totally be a Dane mix, perhaps mixed with boxer? That is a breed that tends to see a lot of under-bites. Or a pit mix (might be more likely).
              good call on the boxer mix... that is a common trait is the over/under bite.
              sigpic
              Titan - GD
              Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

here is a reference... this is a boxer puppy. looks to be close to the same age as your puppy.

boxer puppy.jpg
                sigpic
                Titan - GD
                Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I had a boxer mix, with lab probably. Very dane looking head but with less lip and the underbite. Toby is on the right. That's a dane on the left, for scale--lol.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great responses. One more question. Since the consensus seems to be that she is a dane mix do I have to be concerned about the bloat? First time with a dane of any type so I want to do things right

Comment

pit bull puppy... see the almond shaped eyes and the blocky head shape... this was my first impression of the puppy that the OP posted.

pitbull puppy.jpg

either way she is a cutie.
                      sigpic
                      Titan - GD
                      Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Bloat is a risk in any dog....deeper chested breeds and mixes are more prone to it.

Dane does not jump out to me in that pic but who knows...

Comment

Danes are also supposed to have an almond shaped eye.

And yes, bloat is always a possibility. Perhaps consider a gastropexy when you go to have her spayed.
                          *Jennifer*
                          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                          sigpic

Comment

You'll know your puppy is 5 1/2 - 6 months old when his canines come in. The pic is a little blurry but it sort of looks like he has an adult incisor, which would make him about 4 months old.
                            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

As far as I know, the spaces in the front teeth indicate she is around four months. Pups generally start losing their baby teeth around four months, so if that is, in fact, and adult incisor, she probably is around four months as Lisa suggested.
                              -- Katelyn

sigpic
                              Apollo

Comment

Working...
                              X