Black and Harlequin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and Harlequin

Is it possible to have a female black and a Harlequin male to produce a fawn pup? Maybe just me I just did not think that was possible.

Yes, if both the sire and dam carry a recessive gene for fawn.

Comment

Yes, if they both carry fawn.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thank you I will let my friend know. He was asking me and I have never heard that.

Comment

Our first Dane Kahuna was from a BYB - her dad was Black and mom Harlequin and there was one Fawn male in the litter. Knowing what I know now about irresponsible backyard breeders, I am not surprised.
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Mismarks don't necessarily mean the breeder is a BYB. Some reputable breeders take calculated risks when dealing with recessive color genes because they believe the dam and sire compliment each other so well in every other area, that it's worth possibly producing a mismarked pet in the litter.

Now, if a breeder is INTENTIONALLY producing mismarks to sell for a higher price... then yes, likely a BYB.
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

Does this mean that the dog should not be looked at for purchase to a family?

Comment

Just because it's a mismark doesn't mean it won't be a good healthy pet. It's just the wrong color for the show ring.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                  Just because it's a mismark doesn't mean it won't be a good healthy pet. It's just the wrong color for the show ring.

He just sent me a picture of the fawn. Its all fawn no other color. I was just wondering if the dog will not be heathy so he should pass on it.

Comment

The color won't make the pup unhealthy. If it's all fawn then it's like any other fawn genetically. The health depends on that of the sire and dam and ancestors behind them.

Comment

Oops - I should have mentioned that it wasn't just the Fawn color - it was the higher price (despite no papers) among other things that pointed to BYB... I'm sure there are some Fawns from that coat combination out there from responsible breeders too.
                      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Working...
                      X