10 pound female at 8 weeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 pound female at 8 weeks

Hello, I got a new baby from my mom for my birthday. She is 8 weeks old and at the vet yesterday they weighed her and she is 10 pounds; I feel like that is very light for her age. Should I be worried? My mom got her from a backyard breeder but both parents were on site. And my mom said the woman she purchased her from seemed very genuine and sweet. Any input would be great, thanks so much guys!

Some are just smaller than others. Most backyard bred danes are skinny lanky not made tohave thick boned pups. Yes 10lbs is small. My boy was bout 15 at 7 weeks. He did not grow up to be a huge dane. Nor was he considered big for his age at that point either. They'll be what they're going to be. As long as they're healthy that's what matters.
    sigpic Little boy!

Comment

At 7 weeks Timber was 14lbs.
      Then at 9 weeks at the vet to get his ears done, he weighed almost 17.
      Now at 12 weeks he weighs 32...
      I think comparing pups is almost like comparing kids, they all generally grow at their own pace (to an extent). It depends on what the breeder fed your pup or what quality food the dam was on while carrying & nursing them. When you feed poor quality food your dog's health won't be optimum. Also a lot of BYBs do genuinely "care" about their dogs but when it comes down to it, they want to make money. So especially with a giant breed BYB & all those mouths to feed, they're probably going to go with cheap food=more money...obviously genetics play a big part as well.

Congrats on your pup though! Can you post pics & what color is she? I love seeing puppy pics
      sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

hopefully I am posting this properly haha!! Thank you guys so much, I feel beter now. I know it isn't about having the world's largest dane. I was just a little concerned that maybe my mom got ripped off of something. She purchased her not knowing how frowned upon backyard breeders are! lol
        Here are some photos!

Comment

I'm going to guess that your puppy is not actually 8 weeks old yet and when you buy from a byb you DO get ripped off, unfortunately.
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Welcome. Your girl is very cute! I am going to have to agree that she does look younger than 8 weeks though, and some byb danes are very tiny. My 14 month old byb girl is only 80-82 pounds and 28". Have fun with your baby!

Comment

She is CUTE and regardless that she does look younger she is yours now!

At this point its up to you all to do the rest right, whats done is done and MANY here have at one point had a BYB dog!

Not sure if you are paying for/pitching in on the food but start there it really matters with these giant breeds. You can check out the foods part of the forum ie diet-kibble etc. There are many good quality, without breaking the bank, options!

By the way what is her name?!
              sigpic
              Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
              Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
              In Memory of our beloved Jake
              forever in our hearts

Comment

Aw she is precious, I love her markings!
                sigpic

Comment

At 8 weeks and 1 day old my girl weighed 12.8 pounds. She comes from a very reputable breeder, one who currently has 3 in the top 20. My girl was born at 11 ounces, which is VERY small for a dane to be born at and survive. While your dane does not look 8 weeks old, I wouldn't worry about weight so much. They will reach the size they are supposed to be. A good weight chart an feeding chart reference is on Linda Arndt's site: thegreatdanelady.com

Good luck!
                  - Jordan & Eleanor (xxx's Words of Wisdom from Ms. Rigby)

Comment

That puppy looks more like 6 weeks old. There was one on Craigslist in Charlotte that looks just like that, that they were advertising as 8 weeks.
                    sigpic
                    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
                    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
                    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
                    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
                    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

I wasn't saying anything bad about your puppy. I myself was duped by my BYB also. Rupert was really 6 weeks old and they told me 8 weeks. The only reason I point it out is because you are going to be comparing her growth to a chart and be 2 weeks off (or so) on her age and then be worried that she isn't growing properly. And yes, it doesn't matter how huge she is, she will be the size she is predestined to be no matter how slow or fast she gets there (preferably slow) and you will love her just the same. Just don't want you to think I was bashing.

Supporting a byb not only is a ripoff to you, but not to great for the breed as a whole. It is supporting people who only breed for the money, no matter how "nice" they are, that is what it boils down to. Next time (after you fall in love with this one there will def be a next time! ) you'll do better, that's all. Good luck with your puppy. She's a cutie for sure.
                      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Thank again guys, I am doing my best with her. My question now is WHAT THE HELL DO I FEED HER!?! lol.
                        She is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness but I have been looking around in the food forum and everyone has different opinions!

Comment

Welcome! If she is doing well on the Blue Buffalo then no reason to switch. Lots of Dane owners feed BB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                          sigpic
                          Paula
                          Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
                          Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Congrats and welcome! She is a cutie, but I agree that she looks younger than 8 weeks. Just try not to compare to others. There is a thread on here about age/weight of members' Danes. If you read it you will see that some dogs of the same age vary in height/weight A LOT.

What is her name??
                            Dane babies:
                            Zuri (7/10/2013)
                            RIP Kona (10/01/2007-07/03/2013)

Comment

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a very high quality food so that's good, but...which formula are you feeding? If puppy then the protein will be too high for her, I think it's around 36%? I think with that brand of dog food you should feed her the adult version. I feed Taste Of The Wild puppy which is 28% protein, with Blue Buffalo Wilderness cans mixed lightly in.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X