Age guesses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age guesses?

I adopted Sidda from a rescue a few weeks ago, their info has her at 6 months. She weighed about 60 lbs 2 weeks ago at her spay.
    The thing that really throws me is her teeth, the back ones have a ton of plaque, it doesn't scrape off, and her gums are red from it. I don't believe there's any way she could get that much build up at only 6 mo.
    What do you think, here's a pic of her and her teeth
    Maybe I'm just crazy, she certainly acts like a pup
    her shelter pic taken Dec 3

on gotcha day

her teeth

I don't think that she would be 6 months with teeth like that.

What do her canine teeth look like? At 6 months is usually when they first start to come in. She could just be super teeny tiny though.
    sigpic

Comment

Clean and white, not much wear, this is her sleeping with her mouth open, lol, she won't let me take a pic at the moment

Comment

When my son rescued a four month old blue heeler puppy, her teeth were terrible, but she was nearly starved to death. They looked like your pup's teeth only with some grayish color, too. She's been on a raw diet since September and they are beautiful and pearly white now. She was a year old early January.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I also highly doubt she is anywhere near 6 months old with those teeth. That is a heck of a lot of plague. Also, she would be currently teething at 6 months old and from the look of her photos, those are all full in permanent teeth. The fact she is NOT teething and all her big teeth are in tells me she isn't 6 months old.

Maybe they are guessing her age based on size. She might be a mix or just so poorly bred. ETA: Or she could just be so stunted growth wise because of poor conditions / nutrition. It reminds me of those danes up north that were found (but came from that Patty M place) where they were sure they were puppies because of size but turned out they were full grown adults.

It sure would have been nice if the vet had cleaned up those teeth at the time of spay. Bummer that they didn't.
          Last edited by Angel7292; 01-20-2014, 03:33 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with y'all, she seems like a young adult, a year at least.
            I thought about the possibility of her being a mix, but to have brindle harl coloring, and deaf, wouldn't she have to be pure bred to be a double merle?
            Is it possible to cross 2 merle breeds, like a dane and aussie and get a deaf double?
            Does that make sense?

ETA: the vet who did the spay guessed 6 mo, but he also suggested they have her rear dews removed while she was under. They are a total wreck, and was so unnecessary. I'm glad he DIDN'T touch her teeth a few raw bones and she'll be good as new.
            Last edited by lady&thegiants; 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I saw a 9 month old with teeth like that in our meet up group owner rescued him . apparently was eating out of trash cans before and having to rip into Cans of human food with his teeth. Had to be a fairly good age guess on him cuz man that boy grew up to be a large boy.

I'm not saying that's the same case with your girl. Could just be a smaller girl . But beautiful. Idk if it's typical for Danes to have rear dew claws. If that's the case she could be mixed. I've seen a whippet almost that same coloring but no blue eyes
              sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Originally posted by lady&thegiants View Post
                ETA: the vet who did the spay guessed 6 mo, but he also suggested they have her rear dews removed while she was under. They are a total wreck, and was so unnecessary. I'm glad he DIDN'T touch her teeth a few raw bones and she'll be good as new.
                She has rear dew claws? Hmmm, Im betting she is older than 6 months, and while it is not unheard of for Danes to have rear dews.....its not common.

Because of her weight/size/teeth and rear dews.......Im wondering if she is a mix?
                Carolyn
                Divine Acres Great Danes
                Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                sigpic

Comment

Me too Carolyn, I ordered a dna test kit, we'll see what comes up.
                  Just looking at her, with no other info, she looks so Dane, and she acts Dane too with all of the typical leaning and sitting on laps and such. The only other breed I can think of that would have both her coloring and merle gene would be catahoula. That would explain her size as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lady&thegiants View Post
                    Me too Carolyn, I ordered a dna test kit, we'll see what comes up.
                    Just looking at her, with no other info, she looks so Dane, and she acts Dane too with all of the typical leaning and sitting on laps and such. The only other breed I can think of that would have both her coloring and merle gene would be catahoula. That would explain her size as well.
                    Don't put too much stock in those DNA tests. Some of the posted results have been very humerous. I think she is a dane, but might have a little mix in there somewhere, especially with the back dew claws and her size.

I still think she is at least 1 because she has all her permanent teeth. I don't think she is 2 yet, but I'd put her at least 1. Her face has that young dog look. Again, she might have been poorly fed and just needs some good nutrition to help her out.

I'm not sure how tolerant she is to you touching her mouth, but I've been known to scrape dog teeth with my fingernail. I actually use a tooth scraper for the teeth (not advised unless you are confident in what you are doing) and then I run my clean fingernail just under the gum line to get out all the stuck hair / yuck. I know it sounds ewwie, my husband would agree. I actually get out my headlamp (think miners hat) and clean the dogs teeth while they snooze and I watch TV. HAHA Gross or not, the dogs have beautiful teeth!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                      Don't put too much stock in those DNA tests. Some of the posted results have been very humerous.
                      Like known purebreds coming back as mixes?

It doesn't really matter all that much, to me she's a pocket dane and she is a rescue, so her prior history is mostly unknown.
                      I was told she was bought from a breeder in or near Texarkana, and was surrendered by her original owner, but they have also told me I'm her 4th adoptive home. I'm trying to nail down some of her vet history through the rescue I adopted her from, but I don't think they were very clear on it either.
                      It's VERY possible she was fed 'ol roy mush as a pup, she could be a runt too.

I actually did try to pick at the plaque with my nails while she was sleeping, lol. I only made her gums bleed and didnt get any off. I usually give my new fosters/rescues raw beef knuckle bones and it has amazing results! Even my senior Chi has pearly white teeth

Comment

I'm new to dane raising, but I've had mutts all my life. I don't think the plaque on teeth is a good way to judge a dog's age. I once had a vet tell me she thought my dog, Homer, was 8ish because his teeth were in such good shape - he is 13 (I've had him literally since the day he was born).

Comment

Her body shape to me seems adult. She doesn't have the puppy look to her. I'd guess either poorly bred, stunted, or mixed. She's adorable no matter what and thank you for adopting her!
                          Julie
                          Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
                          RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
                          Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X