No announcement yet.

Euro vs. American

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. Mouse has an awesome personality, but I could pick him apart from a conformational stand point all day. Here's Mouse at 25 months. He really filled out in his third year.

Genetics doesn't "blend" traits. Mouse is from a bad byb breeder a bit north of me. When Mouse's owner before me bought him at six months old, he was there with his harle sister and the father was on-site. The people hadn't been able to sell Mouse (he's black and he outgrew his puppy cuteness sale window). They were keeping the sister to breed to the father, though, since the harle mother had "run away" and they couldn't find her.

That's the kind of breeder that throws in the "euro" thing to increase puppy sales....
    Last edited by mnmouse; 09-20-2013, 06:29 AM.
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I just prefer American Danes. I like the slimmer look of them, not the "too" muscular look of the European Danes.

Plus, my Gilligan is a purebred American, not to brag about it.
      John 3:16
      "For God so loved the world in this way, that He gave his One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

Holman Christian Standard Bible

I love Jesus, do you?

Comment

Riddle is very much my "type" of dane. I like a masculine look on the boys and like a large head. Riddle had a huge noggin without a ton of extra skin and still has nice tight eyes.

17.5 months

13 months

I just not a huge fan of the over done dogs, nothing about them says "elegant" to me.
        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
          IMO, whether or not someone prefers one type of Dane over another, the conformationally correct Dane bred....TO THE STANDARD.....is what should always prevail.
          Exactly. I felt like this goes without saying, but later on I wished I had added it. In Euros and Americans, a big thing they have in common is, the better bred the Dane, the more it will look like the standard. If you look for that in the parents, among other things, you will more likely have a healthy, structurally sound dog.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
            Riddle is very much my "type" of dane. I like a masculine look on the boys and like a large head. Riddle had a huge noggin without a ton of extra skin and still has nice tight eyes.

17.5 months

13 months

I just not a huge fan of the over done dogs, nothing about them says "elegant" to me.

Wowza is Riddle growing up nicely! He's very handsome. He is what I would call a classic Dane, correctly produced by top stock parents.
            Jacki___________________
            Molly: 4.5 yr old Chihuahua/Dachshund - Fawn
            Bella: 2.5 yr Dane - Black. Harley: 3 yr Dane - Merle. Oliver: 5 yr old Feline Furball - Grey/White
            sigpic

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." — Martin Buber

Comment

17.5 months

13 months

He is STUNNING. My kind of dane too, his head reminds me of Capos father, he has nice tight eyes, Capo unfortunately doesn't. But I don't mind it that much and I don't think he is any less beautiful because of that
              sigpic
              Capo (Great Dane) 25.11.2012

Murphy(Dachshund mix) 15.04.1996-03.09.2012
              Vili (Holsteiner horse) 27.08.2002

Comment

Okay so im a bad Dane mommy lol....

Originally posted by Lacey View Post
                Wow she is tiny. But as long as shes healthy thats the best you can ask for.
                So with three kids and three dogs and just moving across the country it took awhile for my brain to finally kick in a realize that I totally posted the wrong age for molly. She is only about 4 and a half months old and not six... well this is my best guess since we can only estimate that she was around 6-7 weeks old when we got her from the person who decided that having a dane puppy who was sold to soon from her mommy was gonna be a lot of work.... But their mistake was our gain because she is really an amazing puppy.

Comment

Hello guys, just wondering if anyone could take a glance at my photo album and give their opinion on my Great Dane.

Im thinking he has a Euro head and height with the thin American body?

He is 34 and half maybe 35 inches. Male, 1 year 9 months.

Also, I am new here so Hello Everyone!

Comment

Welcome to DOL! I'm no expert, but his head does look a little more Euro to me - not sure about the body type as I have seen some big American Danes as well as Euros. Enjoy him - he's probably still a bit puppy-like, right?
                    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Thanks for the input Lisa.

Yeah he seems a little puppyish still. He put on an inch since spring also. I thought he was about done growing when I measured him around April or March. He was just under 34 inches. A couple weeks ago I was thinking he looked bigger and measured again and he is right at 35.

Comment

I'm actually originally from Eastern Europe, where some individuals will prefer a stockier, "lipier" Dane, that looks pretty much more like a mastiff than a Dane!

However, like so many of you mentioned, a good ethical breeder should produce correct conformation wise GDs whether you are on this side of the pond or not. For example, what you'll find in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia is similar to what you'll find here. I wonder if this "euro look" is not more popular outside Europe?

Ok now

Comment

17.5 months

13 months

AHA!!! This was the pic of Riddle I was looking for! (If you are still reading Kayla).
                          I wanted to show my hubby an example of a Dane with tight eyes like Riddle - seems hard to find to be honest.
                          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by cambay411 View Post
                            Hello guys, just wondering if anyone could take a glance at my photo album and give their opinion on my Great Dane.

Im thinking he has a Euro head and height with the thin American body?

He is 34 and half maybe 35 inches. Male, 1 year 9 months.

Also, I am new here so Hello Everyone!
                            I think he looks a whole lot like my 5 month boy who happens to be 75% EURO and right at 90 lbs as of last nights weigh in. During growth, we weigh weekly. But he favors him remarkably. My boys Sire is 200 lbs and is just now two years of age. What does Griffin weigh? (did I miss this)? He does have a big square head it seems. Hard to tell from the stance in the pics though.
                            Lovely boy, enjoy him. I know I enjoy mine, he is just a big goof and a cuddle bug to boot.
                            Elizabeth
                            Elizabeth
                            sigpic
                            Makenna Rose

Comment

Working...
                            X