Euro vs. American

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro vs. American

Looking at the "How big is your puppy? Age, Size, Weight" thread I'm amazed at the height and weight difference in euro vs. american danes. Capo is 32" and 121 lbs at almost 10 months and is almost big as his mother and is 3" shorter then his father, where some danes that are 7-8 months are maybe 1" smaller or bigger and around 25lbs lighter. PRdane11's dane is 34" and 124 lbs at 8 months. I didn't think that the difference is so big or do they grow at different rates? Does anyone have experience with both types? I really don't care how big he gets, he still has some growing to do and his breeder is pleased with his looks. I just would like to hear your opinions.
    sigpic
    Capo (Great Dane) 25.11.2012

Murphy(Dachshund mix) 15.04.1996-03.09.2012
    Vili (Holsteiner horse) 27.08.2002

Riddle is American and was 132lbs and 35" at ten months. I thought the well bred euros were typically shorter and heavier?
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Yes they are, that's what I'm talking about, how amazing it is that the two types are so different. Riddle at 10 months was as big as Capo's father is at almost 4 years. I think those 11 lbs that Riddle was heavier then Capo now are due to him being bigger 3" at the time, or am I wrong?
      sigpic

Comment

Duke is byb euro, and at 18 months he is 34" and somewhere around 145lbs... his mom (french) was 33" and his dad (german) was supposedly 36" (he did seem quite tall when I met him, but I'm not sure he was 36). So far Duke seems to fit the shorter & thicker euro type

The two standards are the same (Euro v American) but I think a lot depends on the specific lines (i.e. french, italian, etc) as well as it being a trendy byb thing to say "euro" and not have dogs fitting the breed standard.
        sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
        Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

This is a good example of a Euro (Italy/USA) Cross -
          He is shorter - maybe 34/35 - but has great bone and flawless movement,
          The first photo is a pic from the day he finished. The other was at the National - He was a few months younger and had not filled out quite so much yet....

sigpic

Comment

I have no idea what breeding Mouse has, but he's 140# and 34" at three years. He's MUCH stockier looking than most of the danes around here--most look like thin giraffe danes. I prefer the stocky look.

Last edited by mnmouse; 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by kmoore24 View Post
              The first photo is a pic from the day he finished. The other was at the National - He was a few months younger and had not filled out quite so much yet....
              He's gorgeous!!
              sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
              Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

I know the standards are the same but the american type danes are usually taller with finer bodies and heads.

Since I'm in Europe I can't have anything other then a euro . Although I would like to have an american type dane with a finer head. Capo is well bred with russian father whose father is from italian and french lines and completely russian line mother.
                Mother is from Slovenia from czech father, again from french and italian lines and her mother is italian line.
                sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=kmoore24;904419]This is a good example of a Euro (Italy/USA) Cross -

He is gorgeous, I would like to have a mantle just like him one day That's what I'm talking about you consider a 34/35" dane shorter, while Capo's father is 34,6" and is considered "normal" here
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                    I have no idea what breeding Mouse has, but he's 140# and 34" at three years. He's MUCH stockier looking than most of the danes around here--most look like thin giraffe danes. I prefer the stocky look.

To me he looks like he has a euro body with a an american head
                    sigpic

Comment

Phineas is a 50/50 euro mix. His mother was 100% german and she fit all the german traits (thick, blockier head, jowly, good substance, tree trunk neck). Phin's father was an american dane (tall, thinner, more refined head). Phin is a true mix of the two of them. He has a very euro head but he is now 39" tall, but I keep him lean at 170 pounds.

Phin has decent substance for a dane. However, after about 37", he got a bit leggy for my preference. The only fault that drives me batty with Phin is he lacks chest. His catherdral chest makes him look more leggy to me. His head is euro and his body is american. His chest... well, that's just non existent. LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crodane View Post
                        To me he looks like he has a euro body with a an american head
                        Exactly! LOL! He doesn't have the excessive lip of the euro, but he's got this awkward neck wattle...who knows where THAT came from!

This is Mouse at 18 months and 24 months. His head really matured as he grew up.
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

[quote=crodane;904424]
                          Originally posted by kmoore24 View Post

He is gorgeous, I would like to have a mantle just like him one day That's what I'm talking about you consider a 34/35" dane shorter, while Capo's father is 34,6" and is considered "normal" here
                          Jeri, the harl in my sig, is Kobi's half sister. At 17 months she is taller than he is over 36 inches already. Her brothers from a previous litter are all 38/39 - Now personally I think that is too tall... Jeri has what I consider Medium bone. While Kobi's are like tree trunks.. I wish she had more lip, but overall, I like her.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                            Exactly! LOL! He doesn't have the excessive lip of the euro, but he's got this awkward neck wattle...who knows where THAT came from!

This is Mouse at 18 months and 24 months. His head really matured as he grew up.
                            You mean this kind of neck wattle
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crodane View Post
                              You mean this kind of neck wattle
                              Yep!! LOL!
                              Tracy
                              sigpic
                              Mouse April 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X