Is my puppy too small?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my puppy too small?

Hi, I have posted already about my pups diet and the best food to use. I hve been asked about the breeder as well. Here is my story:

I just bought a dane from a breeder that seemed reputable. I saw the parents, home, and spoke with some others about danes they have purchased from there. All seemed great. He came with AKC papers etc.

They told me that he has been eating iams large breed puppy. 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup at night. I was surprised as everything I read said no no no puppy food at all except for a few brands, not iams. The breeder told me that this is what they do with all their pups and have had no problems. Parents look really healthy and strong. No bone/joint issues etc.

I have him on nutrisource grain free large breed chicken. He seems to like it. My question is his size. At 6 weeks, his vet papers state that he was 9 pounds 12 ounces. I thought that was a little under due to the charts that I read. I don't know what he is now, I am thinking 15 pounds and he is now a little over 8 weeks.. He seems to be on the smaller side. I am fine with it, just wondering if I can expect him to be a smaller dog because he is not soo big? Compared to others danes at 8 weeks, he doesn't seem to be as tall etc. I also thought that maybe he wasn't getting enough food with just eating twice a day. Maybe feed him 3 times?

Thanks

My girl was 17 at 8 weeks, and a lil chubby . She's 28 lbs now at 11 weeks. Just keep last two ribs showing and his tummy tucked and you should be fine.

Comment

I am concerned on a couple of issues. You already have your puppy, so I am not going to get started on the questionable nature of your breeder; but if your puppy is actually justo over 8 weeks old then 15 pounds is pretty little for a full dane. Yes, your pup should be eating at least three times a day. Twice a day feeding for a baby like that is not enough. What is the protein content of what you are feeding ? Please post some more information about your puppy. Get a weight, and post a pic if you can. Find the protein and fat content of the food, and we can help there too.

Andi

Comment

The food they are feeding now is fine, it's a 4.5 star. I think the pup is just behind because of the breeder feeding badly. Three feelings a day would be better tho. Add a 500 mg ester c too each mealtime too

Comment

you should always feed a puppy that young three times a day, or at least offer food three times a day and always around the same time. Morning, mid day and night.
          he's smaller yes, will he be an undersized adult? Who knows? will he be big for the breed, likely not.
          he will most likely be the size of his grandfather and father. But if the girls have smaller boys in their line he could take after there side.
          overall imo your pup is still within breed standard size for a pup, male pups typically start to gain ~5 pounds a week, so by the time he hits 6 months you'll have an 85-110 pound dog. to early to say he's going to be small.

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
            you should always feed a puppy that young three times a day, or at least offer food three times a day and always around the same time. Morning, mid day and night.
            he's smaller yes, will he be an undersized adult? Who knows? will he be big for the breed, likely not.
            he will most likely be the size of his grandfather and father. But if the girls have smaller boys in their line he could take after there side.
            overall imo your pup is still within breed standard size for a pup, male pups typically start to gain ~5 pounds a week, so by the time he hits 6 months you'll have an 85-110 pound dog. to early to say he's going to be small.
            Well, his parents are ok for size to me. His dad is 36 inches tall, 155 pounds. His mother is 34 inches tall and about 135 pounds. I know they are not huge but, bigger than my male. My male dane that I have who is 3 is about 31 inches tall and just under 130 pounds. I guess he's on the smaller side of the spectrum. I will love him no matter what size he is, it's just bugging me a little bit. I will get a measurement and weight today and post that. Thanks for your help.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mishenko; 05-27-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

A breeder who is producing off color pups like that likely isn't the kind of breeder who is producing consistently sized dogs. A good breeder will know their line and be able to tell you where they expect their pups to be size wise.
              Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

theres no way to know if your pup is going to stay on the small side or if he will grow to be bigger than your other male, it just depends on the lines and i doubt there is consistency in the lines your pup came from. NOT YOUR FAULT, just know for the future that the breeder you chose is most likely not a good one.

my mantle merle was 18 lbs at 8 weeks, and now at 3 years old is 105 lbs and almost 32".

my well bred fawn was 25 lbs at 8 weeks, and now at 8 months is 115 lbs and 33 1/4", which is right where he is supposed to be based on the growth patterns of his lines.

ill be the first one to say its a bummer when someone gets a small dane, everyone loves them for their size. you dont usually see people looking for a dane that wont get big lol

but thats not the be all end all, you will love your pup no matter the size he becomes
                sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

measurements

Ok, I measured his height and weight. He is about 14 inches tall and about 17 pounds 4 ounces. Today he is exactly 8 weeks 4 days.

Let me know your thoughts. I was under the impression that Merle was an accepted color. Atleast that is what it states on the AKC paperwork? His mother was brindle and father harlequin.

Once again, thanks for your time....

Comment

Originally posted by mishenko View Post
                    Ok, I measured his height and weight. He is about 14 inches tall and about 17 pounds 4 ounces. Today he is exactly 8 weeks 4 days.

Let me know your thoughts. I was under the impression that Merle was an accepted color. Atleast that is what it states on the AKC paperwork? His mother was brindle and father harlequin.

Once again, thanks for your time....
                    Merle is a blue-ish gray color with black spots. I don't know if it's just your photos, or if it's the true color of your pup, but he looks to be brown. Breeding brindle and harlequin is a no-no.
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                      Merle is a blue-ish gray color with black spots. I don't know if it's just your photos, or if it's the true color of your pup, but he looks to be brown. Breeding brindle and harlequin is a no-no.
                      I read that online too. How is it that he can be registered AKC? I am completely lost on that. His parents names are on the paperwork as well as breeder etc.

He does look to have his mothers brindle coloring and his dads harlequin spot pattern. I did see merle that looks more of a grayish.

Comment

I read that online too. How is it that he can be registered AKC? I am completely lost on that. His parents names are on the paperwork as well as breeder etc.

He does look to have his mothers brindle coloring and his dads harlequin spot pattern. I did see merle that looks more of a grayish.
                        For him to be AKC registered, both his parents need to be registered.
                        sigpic
                        Fergus
                        Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                          For him to be AKC registered, both his parents need to be registered.
                          Both his parents names are on the paperwork...His mother is brindle and father is harlequin. It is not allowed though? I am confused...

Comment

He can be registered AKC because his parents are both great danes, the AKC doesnt regulate breeders, they only keep records of the purebred dogs. He is just not accepted as a showable color.

the Great Dane Club of America is the parent club of the breed and they set the standard. According to them there are only 6 show able colors. They also set the rules about which colors should/shouldnt be bred to each other.

the people who bred your pups parents blatantly disregarded the rules set by the parent club of the breed. thats a big red flag, but now that you know better you can know the type of breeder to steer clear of.
                            sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

Both his parents names are on the paperwork...His mother is brindle and father is harlequin. It is not allowed though? I am confused...
                              What Samantha said- he can be registered because he is purebred Dane. This is why "AKC registered" doesn't always mean "responsible breeder".
                              sigpic
                              Fergus
                              Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
                              X